Animation coding

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

Animation coding

Post by Senshi »

Hey, does anyone have a good reference or documentation or tutorial for coding animations? I'm unable to find any, even the MDT only has very very few entries..

And there are quite some values there I'd be interested in figuring out for enhancing animations...
fo0k

Re: Animation coding

Post by fo0k »

let us know if you found anything on this.. would be useful.
Senshi

Re: Animation coding

Post by Senshi »

Hm, I kinda hoped Archimonday would honor us with some of his probably vast knowledge about this, considering the awesome work he's doing on BGF-mod now.
I found out quite some stuff (in fact, almost most of the commands now are understood...), but there are quite some things one has to consider because they have to be in correct order to work etc. etc. .

Currently I'm working on integrating the full spectrum of animations that DICE have already made, but aren't used. DICE has 42 animations for every weapon (only Upperbody), but only 30 of them are used in the code...e.g. there is a "Run" animation, but every weapon also features a "RunRelax" animation....well, after some hours of fiddling and going mad with the damn code, I apparently managed to do what DICE didn't or was too lazy to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnnPqSM_ROk

It's not exactly as I would have liked it to, but it's definetly an improvement IMO. The run animation switches randomly after you use another animation (e.g. fire, stand, crouch, lie etc.). My dream would have been to make the soldier carry the gun "ready to shoot" for some seconds after firing and then switching to RunRelax, but as we all know, timeouts and delays are very difficult in BF42, and no different for animations.

There also is a Stand and a StandAim animation separated...right now BF always uses the StandAim and ignores the Stand...if I'd get this to work, you could make the soldiers hold the gun casually while standing around and actually lifting it to e.g. Ironsights when zooming with right click. Would be interesting for some mods, I guess...but first need to get it to work. :?

Perhaps If I find some calm hours I'll try to gather some of the knowledge I found out and post here :) .