Minor issue when animating a banana....

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Apache Thunder

Minor issue when animating a banana....

Post by Apache Thunder »

I recently found out how to animate stuff! Thanks to a tutorial on making weapon animations! I only needed to know how to actually get the dam objects in 3DSMax to move when I press the little play button and such. As it turns out I had to turn on auto key then move the stuff I want animated to a position so that it would animated to reach the new position I set. The tutorial video also showed how to use IK Solvers. This also make animating easier as well. :D

So I am planning on animating a couple things in my Mario Kart mod. Here's previews of the banana mesh that will be used in on the banana projectile:

As seen in 3DSMax:

And how it looks ingame: (click to view video)

Just one issue. When I apply the animation, the banana gets supersized...I have no clue why...Any ideas on how to fix that? (geometry scale command doesn't work on animated meshes by the way)

UPDATE:

I found the fix! There is only one bone object that is not animated. The bone for the body of the animation. So I accidentally made 100 frames of the body bone doing...well...nothing....

This caused problems when I exported the animation. So I removed all key frames for the body skeleton bone since it doesn't move and then exported the animation without the body bone selected. It then returned to normal size while still animating properly. :D

Now it's just how I want it. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Senshi

Re: Minor issue when animating a banana....

Post by Senshi »

Yeah, Archis Tutorials on Youtube are really awesome :) , and once one has figured out how the hell to get BF42 and 3ds Max to "cooperate", it's actually pretty easy and only an incredible amount of fine-tuning the animations (which still is quite some work, at least if you do more complex animations than a banana unfolding ;) ). But certainly gives many cool new powers over the game *harrharr*
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheheh awesome. I gotta try some animation.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Ported a new Mario mesh and animated it! :D

I got him to wave and move his head:

I will try and make a death animation. But this could take awhile as this involves a lot more Ik Solvers and animation work to be done. Plus I have to do it in 100 frames. (as I don't know how to add frames to a scene. Not to be confused with key frames!)
ImageImageImage
Poow

Post by Poow »

Awesome^^

Isn't the copyright a problem there? :?
Many mods stopped because of it.
You’re entering a world of pain!
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Nintendo can suck it, I will continue on this mod no matter what they say. They will have to send secret agents to my house and haul me away. :P

I found out how to fix the supersize problem so I completely redid the Mario mesh and animations and such. Re-Imported and exported the skeleton, skin, and mesh file.

This required me to redo all the animations as the old ones would only work with the original skeleton they were done on. But as a result I have made better animations. Here is a video showing off Mario on El Alamein. This is to test dynamic shadows and lighting on the mesh. All of which turned out great:

There is a third animation I just finished that's not in the video however. (I made mario scratch his butt. lol)

I already recoded Mario into a PCO with a wreck lod that uses a death animation. You can see that in effect in the video. After I shoot him he then goes into a loop shaking his head side to side. This is a temporary animation as a placeholder for the death animation I will make. This is just to show that he will properly start the death animation after he is killed. :D

Since a couple or more animations animate most if not all the bones, I know for sure that I will have no issues when doing the death animation! :D

You can also see that the dynamic shadow for the banana works great too. If you look closely the shadow mesh animates too! AnimatedMeshes don't use shadowmeshes. The game engine creates a dynamic shadow from the LOD mesh which is animated. The video also shows the new animations for the banana which are much better then the ones I made. (since I finally got the importer script to import Nintendo's animation files!)

Now that the importer can import animations, I can now redo the trees and sunflowers in Luigi Circuit. They animate in the real game so no reason why they can't in this one. :D

After I finish Mario, I might do other characters. I may start with Princess Peach or Daisy as they probably don't have legs (in the mesh files that is!). The dress they have covers up their legs so I won't have to worry about animating them. :P
ImageImageImage
RuBBa_cHiKiN

Post by RuBBa_cHiKiN »

Wow, that is purely awesome stuff! I never would've expected to see THAT in BF42! :lol: Amazing job so far! :D
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Finished a death animation for Mario. I also redid the other animations. Mario has a new wave animation, idle animation, and scratching ass animaton that it will randomly choose from according to how it is set up in the animation con files. I made Mario a PCO and now when ever you kill him, this animation plays:

(click to view)

:D
ImageImageImage
Poow

Post by Poow »

Apache Thunder wrote:when ever you kill him
Why should I kill Mario? :cry:
But it looks pretty nice!
You’re entering a world of pain!
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

:D

I revamped Luigi Circuit. I reimported the visible mesh from the Mario kart files and re-exported. Also tweaked the texture files as there was minor issues relating to the uvmaps. I also improved the collision mesh by setting unique mat ids for each part of the col01 mesh. now grassy areas have the grass mat id and the roads have the paved road matId and so on. :P

Also converted 3 objects to animated meshes. The luigi blimp (which wasn't in any previous version due to texture problems), the sunflowers and the trees.

Here's a video:

It certainly makes the map more animated. :D

I finally got the blimp working. When I first tried to import it (which was way back in '06 :P ) the texture files that BMDViewer2 exported didn't match the uvmap for the model.

But now that I reimported it with the new 3DSMax tools, the textures work. I also animated it so it flys around. Yes this could have been done with rotational bundles, but it was easier just to make the blimp an animated mesh so I can animate it to fly exactly how I want it too. ;)
ImageImageImage