problems with drivers, direct x or something..

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

problems with drivers, direct x or something..

Post by fo0k »

system - Win 7 64bit

The otherday I joined a DC server for the first time in a while. I was running in windowed mode and for the first time ever the little bubble came up in the notification area to say 'certain features and not compatible' and 'changing to 'basic theme'... This only happens when I join a server and not if just run game locally. Weird.

Now a day later when I start bf it takes a good 15 seconds to initialise instead of the normal couple of seconds. and regardles of how I exit bf.. either via menu or alt-f4 it again hangs for 10-15 seconds before returning to desktop.

I'm putting it down to directx updates that games install. Which drives me crazy.. that each company wants to tweak direct x in their own way regardless of how it might screw over previously installed app's

Anyone experienced this?

I'm gonna format and start over I guess.
code red

Re: problems with drivers, direct x or something..

Post by code red »

hum.. I have win7 64bit and I have also noticed that bf1942 has been running slower and slower... especially map loading times.... let me know if you find a way to speed things up. ty
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

i too have win 7 x64 and your lucky. for me... every 4-6 successful loads of bf in a row results in exactly 4 un-successful loads with a ctd. i have no idea what the 4 crashes in a row means but happens all the time.
Pray hard, die fast
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I have always had the issue of crashing on load for no apparent reason so you are far from alone there :/. I had never realised that the loads to crashes ratio had some consistency though.. :o

One solution suggested for this which seems to be more effective than just 'running as admin' and all that crap is to start bf. Alt tab out when on the menu screen and then open task manager... Right click bf1942.exe in your processes and select affinity.. Then just choose just one processor. Bf fails to use all anyway so there's no change in performance but it does seem to make things much more stable for people running multicore 64 bit OS.

I'm going to format but also get a duel boot going with a copy of xp. I like 7 for sure and it's essential for dx11 gaming but it's just a pain in the butt for bf42.
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

instead of re-loading win7 & dual booting... try vmware player or microsoft's windows xp vm. vmware is free & run's just about any os out there. microsoft's windows xp virtual machine im pretty sure is free if you pass the genuine win 7 check.
Pray hard, die fast
freddy

Post by freddy »

do you guys use the compatibility mode @ XP SP2 ?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I've tried compatibilty mode in variuos ways and configs but none make any difference for me.

I'm going to see how well bf plays within virtualbox. I have a quad core i7 extreme so i guess if emulation of full 3d's gonna work it will on this. I have used VB before to play homeworld (awesome game :)) which won't run on vista/7

have you played bf within VB coroner?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

short answer.. neither bf or ed42 will run in virtual box. :/

have just realised you suggested virtual machine though and not this.. ! i will try
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

i did have vmware player 3.1 running on win 7 64bit. i had windows xp pro running & everything ran really smooth. never tried bf though. i have learned to deal with bf crashing 40% of the time. to me its just not worth it to having multiple os's. takes up too much hard drive space.
Pray hard, die fast
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

YES!!!!!!

Virtual box WILL run bf1942 perfectly and ed42. The guest additions which support the hardware acceleration just have to be installed in safe mode. It does not make this very clear.

This is awesome. both ed42 and bf1942 now run as they should.

Hurrah.

Download latest virtual box
Install it.. then install 'guest additions' (included)
then reboot and start in safe mode.. then install guest additions again and then reboot.

This is epic. I have perfect XP and 3d support without a duel boot.