problems with drivers, direct x or something..

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
freddy

Post by freddy »

well iwé had my xp install for a long time (5-6 years) now and it was starting to get buggered beyond repair like it took forever to boot the machine. i do clean and defrag and such but i guess the registry file keeps growing no matter what and thats one thing i dont like to fiddle to much with :)

from one day to another bf stopped working and iwé been planning on give win7 a go, (have bought new hd to put it on) so decided to get the thumb out lol
now i just have to remember all different passwords to forums, pronsites and such

when i run bf42 in windowed mode and then try to change resolution a bit higher, a part of the game window gets misplaced like i can see the desktop 1/4 to the left and the game window is out of the screen to the right. managed to alt+tab once and drag it somewhat right but next time i started the game it was out of screen again. very annoying lol.
Apache Thunder

Re: problems with drivers, direct x or something..

Post by Apache Thunder »

Try downloading "UltraMon" and use it to run bf1942 via a special shortcut. I recall at one time being able to force the size and position BF1942 would load as in window mode. UltraMon is normally used for computers with more then one monitor, but should work for what you want even if you only have one monitor.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
freddy

Post by freddy »

good idea! thanks.

there is one thing i just noticed, it may not exactly be related to win7 i just cant recall if it was the same in xp

look at the effects, 16bit color versus 32bits in game

Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Oh, interesting. It seems like the 16 bit effects have more green coloring in them.

Anyways, I have a question about my processor, as I don't know much about the newest processors. Is my "Intel i3 CORE" processor a dual core or single?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The i series of all Intel chips have at least two cores. Remember, they stopped making single cores after the Pentium 4 line. The ATOM brand chips might be single core, I haven't checked their specs. But pretty much all modern CPUs, even the budget ones, have at least 2 cores now a days. So the i3 being the lowest in the brand name tree, it is a dual core chip.

Though honestly, you could have googled this. I found it after only two or so links down in the results.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

... or open taskmanager and just LOOK! :P
oldtime

Post by oldtime »

Hello, i have battlefield 1942 installed in a virtualbox (v. 3.2.8) with win xp and have two big Problems.

1. When i join a server then punkbuster kicked me after a few seconds.
PunkBuster kicked player "FhJ Oldtime" (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Disallowed Program/Driver [125101]
Is it possible to play on a punkbuster protected server with a virualbox?

2. The display view of bf1942 is not ok. I use a laptop with a display that prefers a resolution of 1440 x 900. I can not set this resolution in the bf Menü. When i use other resolutions then my bf is too small and i have bars in the corners or it´s to big an some parts of bf is not visible.
I´ve changed the settings in the video.con to 1440 x 900, but then was bf also small but moved so that is was not playable.

Can anyone help me?

p.s. sorry for my english
JiF_Cam

Post by JiF_Cam »

This is "TechWife" posting for JiF_Cam

The old XP machine finally needs a major overehaul and I have switched JiF_Cam over to windows 7. He does not like the windows 7 version of Battlefield 1942 and wants to play the XP version. We tried the microsoft XP mode and failed. But I have new hope now that I have seen your post about Oracle's VirtualBox. I have gone there to download the latest version. Do I need the expansiosn pack as well?

Thank you. I was researching building him a new XP machine, but that does not seem to be the right way to do things.

TechWife for JiF_Cam
JiF Cam
JiF_Cam

Post by JiF_Cam »

I have virtual box installed
I made hosts XP32, and XP64

My XP discs are SP1. I wonder if that matters...

It says to put the XP disc into the cd drive to copy the operating system into VB
Can I use my disc or do I hunt for XP Pro SP3?

Once that is installed, then I will see the guest option?

My husband is away for one day, and I am trying to get this ready for him so he can play when he gets home.
Any and all help will be appreciated.

TechWife for JiF_Cam
JiF Cam
duffman

Post by duffman »

This issue might be solved but:

For Windows XP I would recommend SP2 or SP3.
You should be able to find and offline servicepack to apply after installing from an older XP disc.
Download "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack".

After installed XP you should see "Insert guest additions CD image.." options in the Devices menu (virtualbox).
This should bring up some options in the virtual machine, like enabling "direct x" (you need to restart Windows XP in Safe Mode to install this).

In the settings for the Virtual Machine I have enabled 2D and 3D acceleration and Video memory set to 32MB.
(You might need to set Network Adapter to "Bridged" for network gaming)