Animations...again

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

Animations...again

Post by Senshi »

And the next round of noob questions from Senshi, the guy with the weirdest questions of all!

So, I beat myself through the tut vids of Archimonday on animations, and well, after some fiddling here and there (nothing more than Archi struggled himself in the vids ;) ) I got my first animation "ready to test". Nothing big, I basically followed the tut and did a new reload animation for the Bar. Nothing spectacular, but still detailed and 100% different from Vanilla. Well, sticking strictly to the export tut vid of Archi I got two smooth files, Bar1918Reload.baf and 1pReloadBar1918.baf and put them in the correct folders (WeaponHandling\1P\Bar1918 for the 1pReloadBar1918.baf and Weapons\Bar1918 for the Bar1918Reload.baf).

Then I packed it up as animations.rfa for my mod (which is based on Vanilla) and thought/hoped it would overwrite the Vanilla animations, as the same files are present in my mod. Well, that's how it works for everything else.

Yeah well, no luck there...game loads vanilla animations, no matter what I do :( . Where did I mess up? I have to confess I'm too annoyed right now to look any further into it...I struggled for hours with this animation §$%§ and now I want to see RESULTS to get me motivated for more refined work...well, guess I'll have to grab a beer, watch a movie and take a good nights' sleep before I can dive in again...

Oh, and animating stuff is really a pain in BF42...no wonder many mods just forfeit this and stick to Vanilla animations (luckily they are quite good most of the times :) )
Poow

Re: Animations...again

Post by Poow »

Short question.
Wich tutorial vid? Can you post a link for me?
Would be nice to see this video.

You’re entering a world of pain!
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

for some reason I remember seeing more than 1 folder with the same animation in it maybe you placed them in wrong place
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Yup, just follow the vids in the playlist order (They were named somewhat confusingly with all the second half part 4 stuff etc. ;) ). There are a lot of them and Archi messed up himself twice (or 3x?) during the vids, but quickly resolved his problems. And they are good to know too, because they are very basic problems everyone will encounter (well, at least I did, especially the damn pivot stuff...surprising how 3 simple vector indicators can mess so much up if they are handled differently by game and editing software... :? )
Poow

Post by Poow »

Thanks!
I will look at it, when I find some time :roll:
You’re entering a world of pain!
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Nobody has any smart ideas about wtf went wrong?

I now did an animation for the BG42 team, and everything again went smooth, but I seem to fail at coding animations somewhere, because I'm again unable to import it correctly...

I added it so the weapon object.con calls upon the correct .ske, and set up the 1pAnimationsTweaking, 3pAnimationsTweaking, MiscAnimationsTweaking and multishotweapons.inc . I put my .baf animations in the correct subfolders...don't know what else there is to do :( .
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Well, problem solved. Had a small, but fatal typo in multishotweapons.inc .
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

I hereby declare myself lord of animations. Thanks to the great tutorial videos of Archimonday and huge loads of sweat, anger (especially that) and sheer willpower, I finally managed to master the high art of animating soldiers in Battlefield 42.

I have set up a skeleton for a custom weapon and animated it from A to Z, including all the damn 3p animations...It's not perfect (yet), but that's just a matter of experience.

It is incredible how many possible traps there are when animating stuff. There is so much that can go wrong. The 3dsmax tools have some oddities there, even WinRFA sometimes can screw up the updating of animations.rfa with new baf...not to forget the many, many possibilities in 3dsmax itself...and as it's no good importing animations from BF42, you need to do many of those all by yourself or extract the keyframes you need from the BF42 animations...it's a shame that the baf format saves every frame separately...and as you animate with a couple of keyframes and not hundreds of frames, both ways are easily frustrating and time-consuming. There seems to be no "quick" way to make animations...and as one weapon alone easily has 50 .baf files, it really gets tedious...
Archimonday

Post by Archimonday »

Sorry I couldn't help Senshi! I was so busy elsewhere! I apologize to everyone else as well that was looking forward to that soldier model tutorial. I havn't had much time. Again, sorry.