3DS Max 7 on Windows 7, freezing issue resolved

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

3DS Max 7 on Windows 7, freezing issue resolved

Post by Swaffy »

For over a year I had the issue where I'd start up 3DS Max 7 and once the program's window showed up it would remain unresponsive. No buttons or anything worked, and clicking on it would cause Windows 7 to white it out and you basically had to end the process. Keep in mind my Windows 7 is 64-bit.

I solved this earlier when I created a shortcut to the program on my desktop, and for the Target I entered this:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity C "C:\Program Files (x86)\3dsmax7\3dsmax.exe"
This starts the program using CMD and sets flags and the directory path. The important piece here is /affinity C which basically tells which CPUs you want the program to run on. The "C" is in hex. You can read <here> to further understand how the affinity works. But in my case, using C caused the program to run! I'd so glad because I can now edit models.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
freddy

Re: 3DS Max 7 on Windows 7, freezing issue resolved

Post by freddy »

Nice solution! I guess the programmers was a bit sloppy when they coded, or its microsoft that has changed something with memory/cache functions.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Well, I ran into a new issue (seriously when is Windows going to stop being a bitch), and this one prevents me from playing the game at all. My game's exe will not run regardless if I use a shortcut, run the exe directly, I even tried Run as Administrator, and XP sp3 compatibility. I can see the exe start up in my Processes tab but it immediately goes away. This frustrates me because I don't know how to fix it. Also this is the only exe that will not run. All my other programs start and run without issue.
freddy

Post by freddy »

Try set the game to windowed mode and see if you get any fault message

I have had the same issue but it is so long ago that i cant remember what caused it
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

freddy wrote:Try set the game to windowed mode and see if you get any fault message
Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately I tried it and it didn't work. The EXE is clicked, then simply doesn't run. Perhaps a missing or damaged DLL? Maybe something in the registry? I may do a reinstall some time just to be sure...

If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to try them out. Thank you.
freddy

Post by freddy »

Just a little thought about reinstalling/installing, if by any chance yo have some "modified" files in your standard game directory, and if you uninstall the game, those modified files will not be removed (they doesnt count as being part of the game), so if you then reinstall the game to the same place/folder as you had before, those modified files wile still be there and could cause the same kind of trouble that you had before.

the simple solution is just install the game to another folder and it will be a fresh installation. The more complicated one is to see too it that all the game files really is removed in the "old" install folder.
freddy

Post by freddy »

Oh and be sure to have backups of any mods you dowloaded, its easier to copy some files on your computer, then downloading it all again from the internet.