Best way to make bumpers for boats?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Iced Earth

Best way to make bumpers for boats?

Post by Iced Earth »

...to prevent ship beaching. The best solution would be changes to the ships themselves in objects.rfa, so it would apply to every map.

One idea was sandbags, but...they go through the terrain. Wheels might be one idea, but for a carrier that would be a sh*t ton of wheels.

Any ideas?
freddy

Re: Best way to make bumpers for boats?

Post by freddy »

some sort of frame low enough to bump into the bottom seabed before it get to close to shore?
dunno if it could be done directly to the mesh?
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

freddy wrote:some sort of frame low enough to bump into the bottom seabed before it get to close to shore?
dunno if it could be done directly to the mesh?
yes...server side? :?
Kuyong_Chuin

Post by Kuyong_Chuin »

Iced Earth wrote:...to prevent ship beaching. The best solution would be changes to the ships themselves in objects.rfa, so it would apply to every map.

One idea was sandbags, but...they go through the terrain. Wheels might be one idea, but for a carrier that would be a sh*t ton of wheels.

Any ideas?
I have and idea but not sure exactly how you would code it for it to work properly.

Place a Landing gear type system on the boats and ships. One gear on each corner of the front of the craft. Then if you run a ground you hit the key that you asign the landing gears, like mouse button 3 or something that isn't used right now. The gears lower raising the craft off the bottom enough for the engines with the wheels rolling to get it off the land. If you run a ground in reverse you would be SOL or you would have to put gears on the rear of the craft and make the wheels powered. Problem with that someone would use it as an amphibous Battle ship or something unless you some how coded it so you could only lower the front or rear gears not both at the same time. That would stop the Amphib BB at least. :lol:
If thy sleepth in a bed of roses, thy will most likely awake with thorns in thy backside if thou doeth not prepareth thy bed beforeth thy lie down.
freddy

Post by freddy »

Iced Earth wrote:yes...server side? :?
yes i think thats possible
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

well if you attach a object to a boat and the game don't crash, you just won't see it server-side right... ?
because you could try add a little object like freddy said low enough to bump into the bottom seabed before it get to close to shore...

one problem I'm just not sure if the collisions work ssm
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
freddy

Post by freddy »

you can attach any object you like to each other and the server doesn´t mind, provided you rem out the networkinfo (if any) from the object you attach.

of course you cant see the added object if you dont have it in your gamefiles, but otherwise its the same as those bunkers some like to add to there maps, the server know its there and interact with it.

you can even attach a aagun to a plane and fly around with it, it crashes first when/if you try to get into the aa by using the shift position buttons
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

grrr :x

So i've added a bunch of wheels, this is just an example of some:

Code: Select all

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate PT_BackWheel
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 10/-20/120
ObjectTemplate.setRotation 0/0/0

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 10/-20/110

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 10/-20/100

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 10/-20/90
I've added all of them to the shokaku complex, right after all the ShokakuAirplaneSupplyDepots. The only problem is the rotation doesn't seem to effect them. I've tried 0/0/90, 0/90/0; nothing. Right now they "kind of" work, but as soon as they hit a bump they can "climb", the whole ship tilts as if it were being beached. So it doesn't really do much good there, lol.

What am I doing wrong? :cry:
freddy

Post by freddy »

add the wheels to the PT_BackLandEngine instead and then add the engine to the shokaku complex, that way the wheels would be like working on driving the ship out/back again when they touch land

as for the PT_BackLandEngine on the PT boats, they really doesnt do much good on them. so if you need the PT boats in a map/maps just rem the PT_BackLandEngine out from them in objects.con
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

thanks freddy i'll give that a go and see what I can come up with.