Textureing buildings problem?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
assasinseye1

Textureing buildings problem?

Post by assasinseye1 »

Ok so I want to texture a couple buidlings for my map Lets just say for a practice will use market garden...so I unpack it and open photoshop but when I go to the object light maps.......their all scrambled lines with white and black objects..even tho the file is named church?????? why does it look nothing like a church?>?>? :?: :?: :idea:
Mapper/map textureing/design....

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Poow

Re: Textureing buildings problem?

Post by Poow »

The church is made out of ~ 50 subshaders.

Look at the church standardMesh files.

eu_church_m1.rs
eu_church_m2.rs
eu_church_windows_m1.rs
eu_churchfence_m1.rs

in the standardMesh.rfa archive file of your mod to see the links to all texture parts. The textures aren't stored it each map. Just once in a texture.rfa archive.
You’re entering a world of pain!
assasinseye1

Post by assasinseye1 »

Im sorry to be such a noob about this but IDK what you mean im confuzed...i just want to texture the building

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Download this:
http://eliteforce2.filefront.com/file/D ... rter;29412

I like it for converting dds -> psd, etc etc.

What Poow is saying is that there is not just ONE texture file for the church. There are many...so, you would have to edit each.

I would recommend converting the dds to psd, and then creating a new layer for snow. You could paint snow on that layer without altering the underlying texture. Just test test test.
assasinseye1

Post by assasinseye1 »

I still dont understand {noob here :cry: } can someon please make a vid?

or screen shots :D

Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

eh? please tell us exactly what you don't understand so we can help.

If you want to texture something:

1) Find the objects .rs files in standardmesh.rfa. Poow lists them.
2) In each file you will see the name of a texture file.
3) Open texture.rfa, find those and extract.
4) Convert them from .dds to PSD (photoshop file) or any other image, like tga.
5) Edit them in whatever program you want (like PS)
6) Save back as .dds
7) ???
8) Profit!
assasinseye1

Post by assasinseye1 »

Ok I will try to explain as best as I can..I want to figure out how to texture a modle..building/gun/tank/person..etc...so what I thought would be logic to me is go to one of the maps lets say market garden...use winrfa to extract to desktop....then open photoshop{I have ddsplugin} go to desktop/bf1942/levels/berlin...their are of course all of the files...so I click on texture, :( well their are no guns or anything their just grass and stuff...so then I go to object light maps...well I see a couple files some saying tank,sherman,car,church,gun,...church!!! so i click on it open it up but when I open it,it looks like this.........image below....wtf is that that is not a church??? :evil: ??? so what did I do wrong? :cry:..............

1 hour later Nvm i found that i was not supposed to extract maps..im sorry..Ok so lets say I modify it make it white and what not then what ?? do i put this whole texture file in my mod file which is named test run?...and then when i play the mod the church will be white?

I did not know he said that before i edited....
Last edited by assasinseye1 on Mon May 17, 2010 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

assasinseye1 wrote:Ok so I want to texture a couple buidlings for my map Lets just say for a practice will use market garden...so I unpack it and open photoshop but when I go to the object light maps.......their all scrambled lines with white and black objects..even tho the file is named church?????? why does it look nothing like a church?>?>? :?: :?: :idea:
well if you extract the textures.rfa
and find church in there. convert it to what ever you want to edit it...
if your making a new texture for it from scratch or wot ever...
you will need to rescale the whole image to one of the following :
  1. -512x512
    -1024x1024
    -2048x2048
and also make sure it has MIPMaps

with the church.rs file open with notepad and there you'll find these lines

Code: Select all

{
	lighting true;
	lightingSpecular false;
	materialDiffuse 1.0 1.0 1.0;
	texture "texture/undefined";
}
now lets say you called it "Modded_Church"

where it says undefinded... it should say church or what ever.... rename that to what you called your texture, so in this case its Modded_Church

now pack to rfa then your algud to go

help in any way ????
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
assasinseye1

Post by assasinseye1 »

ok so after i modify it what do I do im not understanding..do i move this whole texture file....not the texture of the church but the whole file to my mod directory ???

mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

assasinseye1 wrote:ok so after i modify it what do I do im not understanding..do i move this whole texture file....not the texture of the church but the whole file to my mod directory ???
well in ur mod directory directory
put all your modified textures in the texture folder
then go into archives and pack to rfa then try to run ur mod in game
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.