Editor 42 Layer Library

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

Editor 42 Layer Library

Post by Senshi »

We had this started back over at SSM.com, but it drowned during the Robo Overlord reign.

But I think the idea was good, so I want to revive this!

So, to start things, here's my current library:
library.7z
(2.84 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
It includes some layers that were made by Iced Earth (Cambrai Heights, City Street Grass...), I hope he doesn't mind ;) .

Another tip: The longer the name of the layer, the more refined it is. The name contains all the sublayers, so a long named layer is pretty advanced ;) . e.g. Slope_Border_GrassSand_RockPacific or GrassSnow_RockSlope_Great are good enough to texture a whole map!
fo0k

Re: Editor 42 Layer Library

Post by fo0k »

do you have issues loading up these? what OS are you running?

I'd say ed42 crashes most of the time when I load up layers I have previously made and saved.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Absolutely no problem. In the end they are only extremly simple text files.

Win7.

AFAIK you don't even need the sublayers. Each "superlayer" takes all the settings of the sublayers used and saves them internally again. So if you have "helper" layers (light sand / Dark Sand) and mix them in "Beach Sand", you could delete the first layers again and things would still work.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Maybe its images that are being called in my layers.. but I'm amazed you have no problems. I have had issues on 3 different OS's across 4-5 different PC's ever since I saw ed42.. 6-7 years?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

that might be the problem. Up to now I have no layers that use textures, all my textures are completely uniquely generated with noise layers. Though I'm starting to integrate some textures, especially to add some "strong" details/decals on the terrain, which obviously will be very sparse to avoid repetitive looks.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, Ed42 crashes pretty often, but that is random crashes (mostly related to object placement, especially Gameplay objects (spawners, controlpoints). That's why I do these tasks in BC42 as far as possible and use Ed42 "only" for terrain sculpting, texturing and materialmaps. As well as the pretty sweet forest planter tool. But I never once had a crash when loading a texture layer. Advanced layers take a while to load and especially take resources and time to apply ("laggy"),. but no crashes...
Bonaparte

Post by Bonaparte »

Looking great fook! Thanks!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh, you mean Senshi? :)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Obviously. Nobody would say you look great. That has to be me. :D :twisted:
Bonaparte

Post by Bonaparte »

oh im sorry heh :D Yes senshi nice work! but fook, i also thank you for your texturing tutorials too ;)
Sniperjack

Post by Sniperjack »

I am having trouble extracting these files. I re-downloaded and tried with WinRAR and WInZip and 7Zip, but all have errors after extracting. In the compressed folder they say a certain size, but have 0 bytes packed. Anyone else have this problem? Could you maybe re-upload it as a .rar? Thanks.