ED42: how to save level.

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
crazymx3000

ED42: how to save level.

Post by crazymx3000 »

Hi.
i have just watched "ED42 Tutorial How to setup ED42 correctly for Battlefield 1942" on youtube.
i made my level and it saved as a folder so i packed it , then i put it straight to C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Archives\bf1942\levels , but the game wont start , if i take the level out then i can play the game fine , only i cant play the level i just made.

fo0k will explain how to fix this problem...
Senshi

Re: ED42: how to save level.

Post by Senshi »

Simple. You packed your map wrong...

If you use winRFA to pack it, you have to set this:
Map to pack: X:\...\bfdev\bf1942\levels\YOURMAP
Base Path: bf1942\levels\YOURMAP

Else BF42 will go FUBAR and crash before start.
crazymx3000

Post by crazymx3000 »

Senshi wrote:Simple. You packed your map wrong...

If you use winRFA to pack it, you have to set this:
Map to pack: X:\...\bfdev\bf1942\levels\YOURMAP
Base Path: bf1942\levels\YOURMAP

Else BF42 will go FUBAR and crash before start.
yea , thats exatcly how i packed it , it didnt start , but as i said fo0k will answer for us all :D
HJGF

Post by HJGF »

why u dont try the ED 42 rfa packer i always use it and it had never failed
tekk

Post by tekk »

crazymx3000 wrote:but as i said fo0k will answer for us all :D
Ya because foOk is the only one with the experience to help u solve this issue :roll: , and "us all" im assuming your just talking about yourself because I dont have that issue :roll: . Senshi has alot of experience and and is perfectly capable of helping aswell as many others on this site, if you just want foOks input then PM him :!:
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
HJGF

Post by HJGF »

tekk wrote:
Ya because foOk is the only one with the experience to help u solve this issue :roll: , and "us all" im assuming your just talking about yourself because I dont have that issue :roll: . Senshi has alot of experience and and is perfectly capable of helping aswell as many others on this site, if you just want foOks input then PM him :!:
lol ya u must apreciate the help of everyone on the forums and well try what i sayed it should work when u try to map with the rfa packer it doesnt works but try the ed42 one
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh to clarify, I mentioned via a pm to HJGF that I would try to help but it was best to post it in the forum so all could see/help :)

I was wondering if you were just packing the ed42 folder? as this contains only very limited files required to run a map.

(Read carefully.. this is from memory and not a tutorial)

You need to take an existing map of the same size (if you made a medium map in ed42 then grab a medium map from bf1942 - Alamein for example) then extract it all to a new folder on the desktop (call the new folder 'my map ready for winrfa'.

You should have a folder called 'my map ready for winrfa' then inside that is a bf1942/levels/el_alamein... folder etc etc

now copy over your staticobjects, heightmap, conquest folder, textures, materialmap from your ed42 map. in addition you need to look at your init.con (in the ed42 map) and copy the values for waterlevel to your Alamein maps terrain.con.

Next rename your alamein map to a unique name by doing the following.

Basically (this is good training to do it this way) you need to go through the con files in your alamein map and change any instance of 'El_alamein' to 'your_map_name'

you should also rename any folders containing 'El_alamein' to 'your_map_name' too.

Thats a very basic start but if you now pack the map it should work. (Pack the map with winrfa and select the bf1942 (in your my map ready for export) folder as the source directory.

there are many asthetic changes you need to make too (including sunlight direction, load screen etc) but for now this method 'should' load up your map.

Someone else here can highlight any major showstopper I have missed :)
crazymx3000

Post by crazymx3000 »

HJGF wrote:
tekk wrote:
lol ya u must apreciate the help of everyone on the forums and well try what i sayed it should work when u try to map with the rfa packer it doesnt works but try the ed42 one
oh , i didnt know there was a rfa packer for ed42 , i just used winrfa to pack it lol.
thanks