Andros Wolverine SWAT Bot. Need Help

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Coroner47

Andros Wolverine SWAT Bot. Need Help

Post by Coroner47 »

Ive got a swat bot that ive built & im having a few problems with getting it to move around. At 1min50sec of this video you'll see what i mean. Anybody know any way to get this thing to climb over edges like this doorway? It climbs just about everything else.

Pray hard, die fast
Muad_Dib

Re: Andros Wolverine SWAT Bot. Need Help

Post by Muad_Dib »

Maybe place the front wheels a bit higher? It seems the doorway is just a tad too high for it lol
freddy

Post by freddy »

a small airbust thrust perhaps? or you can add more (invisible) wheels to it, just position them a bit higher and a bit further along the axis, think kinda like a V shape, i think you can overlap the wheels, if i understand it right they dont interact with eachother, just the "driving" materials.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Try placing a invisible spring slighty in front of the front visible ones and a bit higher. It should help it climb things better. ;)

(make sure the spring has engine grip and not dummy grip!)

Use the "ObjectTemplate.createInvisible 1" command to hide the spring.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

Ive tried various different things so far without any luck. I created large wheels hoping they would roll over the small lip.... but no, it didn't work. I added extra wheels to the front... more forward & higher than front wheels.... didn't work. I think the problem is that im not quite understanding how the engines & springs work. From what i can tell the springs are just pushed by the thrust of the engine. There is no actual turning movement of the wheels that would create a forward movement, right? So i think the problem is the collision of the wheel against building. Can anyone explain how exactly the engine & springs work? Would a 45degree angled box on the front of the vehicle work as a ramp? I'll have to keep trying stuff out! :roll:

Also, i read that you can only have 4 wheels with "c_PGFEngineGrip"... i have 6 and everything seems to work right. So, could i have 8??
c_PGFEngineGrip - used in pairs, only for land vehicles (jeeps, tanks, etc). Triplets also work. This is the wheel driven by the engine. To have a true 4WD change c_PGFRollGrip to c_PGFEngineGrip in a front wheel drive object. WARNING, this can give a maximum of a 4WD; if you want more drive wheels use c_PGFEngineDummyGrip.
edit:
does "c_PGFEngineGrip" only provide traction when the spring/wheel is touching the ground or surface of something? it looks that way but i can't totally tell with maximum of 4 wheel drive question un-answered.
Pray hard, die fast
freddy

Post by freddy »

Coroner47 wrote:edit:
does "c_PGFEngineGrip" only provide traction when the spring/wheel is touching the ground or surface of something? it looks that way but i can't totally tell with maximum of 4 wheel drive question un-answered.
yes they must touch ground, they then interact with that materials settings like

Code: Select all

MaterialManager.materialFriction 1.0
MaterialManager.materialElasticity 0
MaterialManager.materialResistance 0.02
you can use more wheels then 4 on a engine (atleast if the engine has no networkinfo)

look at my modded Elco80 code that i had in use for some years now :)

rem *** PT_FrontLandEngine ***
ObjectTemplate.create Engine PT_FrontLandEngine
ObjectTemplate.setAttachToListener 1
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.hasResponsePhysics 1
rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate PT_FrontWheel
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 1.54/1.64/8.9
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -1.699/1.64/8.9

rem ****************************************

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 1.74/0.9/8.9
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -1.799/0.9/8.9

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 1.74/0.64/4.9
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -1.799/0.64/4.9

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 1.74/0.64/0
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -1.799/0.64/0

ObjectTemplate.setPosition 1.74/0.64/-8.9
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -1.799/0.64/-8.9

rem *** PT_FrontWheel ***
ObjectTemplate.create Spring PT_FrontWheel
ObjectTemplate.geometry Willy_WheelR_M1
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.hasResponsePhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.Grip c_PGFEngineGrip
ObjectTemplate.setStrength 25
ObjectTemplate.setDamping 5
ObjectTemplate.createInvisible 1
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

Ive tried everything now on getting this little thing to climb up these little vertical lips in the doorways. I used freddy's physics code, but it still didn't work. I put a 45degree ramp on the front of the bot, that didn't work. Looking at the collision mesh of the buildings, i don't see how you could get a the bot wheels/spring inside. What's happening is the collision mesh on the wheel/spring is hitting the door lip. If i take a big enuff run at the doorway i can usually glitch into the building, but then sometimes i get stuck inside. Anyways ive moved on! :D

Here's the wolverine with a movable arm, browning & laser dot sight. Anybody know if there is a c_PI??? variable for the mouse wheel?
Pray hard, die fast
freddy

Post by freddy »

found these

c_GIMouseWheelUp
c_GIMouseWheelDown
tekk

Post by tekk »

Lol, thats great , the browning looks a bit awkward but man that thing would be fun to use lol
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

dude that thing is so awsome
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.