Trouble Modding BF1942 Kits

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Scharnhorst1943

Trouble Modding BF1942 Kits

Post by Scharnhorst1943 »

Hi all. I am new here, first post. I am kind of new to BF modding, but I definitely know the basics. I have been having some trouble, so I have a question.

My dilemma is that I want to add the Gewehr 42 & 43 to some regular BF 1942 maps, but I cannot get it to work. I added two new kits. The whole idea I was I was going for was to take a regular German assault soldier and a regular German scout, and change their weapons to be from the expansion pack Secret Weapons. However, I made all new kits, which I called "It_German_Assault" and "It_German_Scout" because I want some maps to have a German sniper with the scoped K98 and other specific maps to have the Gewehr 43. I know the specific kits can be changed on a per map basis, so I went that rout.

So ... I created my new kits in which I added new weapons from Secret Weapons add on to the regular stock 1942 German soldier (I did not want to use the German elite soldier in winter cammo). I went in and changed both the init.con for each map and changed it to the appropriate kit. I also went and changed PreCache.con and changed the appropriate weapons.

I am still getting a CTD when I try and load this in game ... Can someone PLEASE tell me where I am going wrong? I have been trying to hash this out and have been banging my head against a wall for some time now ... so I am at my last straw here. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. :mrgreen:

EDIT: I also need to mention that I opened the "Objects.rfa", "Animations.rfa", "StandardMesh.rfa" and "textures.rfa" for the two expansions and repacked them all into one. So I took both Objects.rfa files from both Secret Weapons and Road to Rome and added them to the Original BF1942 Objects.rfa. So all of the necessary files should be all added to the stock battlefield files ...
freddy

Re: Trouble Modding BF1942 Kits

Post by freddy »

i think the easiest way to find out what the problem is, is to use the debugger if you haven´t already tried that.

edit: or if you have a dedicated server, it will also output some faults if it finds any.
Scharnhorst1943

Post by Scharnhorst1943 »

like I said, I am new to BF modding, so I actually have never used the debugger. Is it through the game or is it through the Battlefield Mod Development Toolkit?

But even then ... you don't have any advice as far as kit modding goes? I mean, it should be as simple as just opening up the mapname.rfa and changing the init.con right?
freddy

Post by freddy »

the debugger is just another bf42.exe to start the game with, i dont know if it comes with the mdt package but i tried google it and it gave this link for example

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/4529/Ba ... Executable

as for changing the init.con you must have the new kits run somewhere to, if you have put them in objects.con they should be run by auto, but if you have them in your map you need to add some lines like "example run kits/kits" (where kits are a folder containing the new kits) in the init.con aswell. also i read in some thread that there could be difficulties with animations with new kits if they´re mapbased?