Texture Modding help.

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
re6ter

Texture Modding help.

Post by re6ter »

Hey, ive been trying to look for tutorials that I can change up textures, but I haven't been able to find ANY!

I want to skin Vehicles and Weapons. Im good with photoshop and I know how to open and edit .DSS files. I just need to know how to Find, extract, edit and pack the new textures, and distribute it properly

Any help?
Marshall_Nord

Re: Texture Modding help.

Post by Marshall_Nord »

If you give us a specific texture you'd like to change, I'll walk you through the process.
tekk

Post by tekk »

http://mdt.icgclan.com/Tutorials/Editin ... tures.html

Lots of other good tutorials there aswell, also the section on save as "Alpha Layers" in the texture tutorial disregrad as it was explained to me by Apache Thunder and foOk that its a un-neccessary step, i skip it and works fine for me. Look for the textures .rfa in your bf42 files and extract it , from there you will find what textures you want.
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
re6ter

Post by re6ter »

tekk wrote:http://mdt.icgclan.com/Tutorials/Editin ... tures.html

Lots of other good tutorials there aswell, also the section on save as "Alpha Layers" in the texture tutorial disregrad as it was explained to me by Apache Thunder and foOk that its a un-neccessary step, i skip it and works fine for me. Look for the textures .rfa in your bf42 files and extract it , from there you will find what textures you want.

I open, find, extract and edit the texture i want, how do i inject it back into the RFA file without having to unpack it all and repack it?
tekk

Post by tekk »

You create and name a folder "texture" in your mod file tree, would be created in the same spot as the default "textures" folder, that is where you will put your custom skins in, and in your init.com you will add this line

Code: Select all

textureManager.alternativePath ../../bf1942/levels/YOUR MAP NAME HERE/texture
. That will tell the game to call on those textures for your mod.
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
re6ter

Post by re6ter »

/level ?

Lets so I took a Colt and made a texture for it, I put it in the folder you told me to, added the line of text in the Con file. Then what?
Do I load my mod? Do i need to pack the texture?
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

Num try looking it the tutorials her :L I made a tut
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
re6ter

Post by re6ter »

Im still confused... Can i get instruction? maybe a step-by-step. Ive attempted to try all of this but when I load my mod BF crashes.
tekk

Post by tekk »

re6ter wrote:Im still confused... Can i get instruction? maybe a step-by-step. Ive attempted to try all of this but when I load my mod BF crashes.
If you want you can upload your mod somewhere and send me a link to it so I can take a look at what your doing wrong, even if you didnt pack the textures properly the game shouldnt crash on you so it may be a error somewhere else in your coding.
re6ter

Post by re6ter »

I dont even know where to start... ive messed around with SDK but ive got nothing so far...

im not stupid when it comes to computers, but i need to be pushed in the right direction for this...