Destroyable buildings

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
archer

Re: Destroyable buildings

Post by archer »

Unfortunately I don't know of any Bf1942 mod with destructible vanilla buildings.
If you want a code template, just unpack Battle_of_Britain.rfa, go inside objects and copy Britain_Factory. Then you can simply replace lodFactory with your own lodObject that contains geometry of another building. You'll still get the factory wreck upon destruction, unless you make your own wreck mesh for each building or just give up on wrecks.
Another problem might be with materials - Bf1942 static buildings tend to use materials with materialDamage set to 0. Also all attack materials have damageMod set to 0 for said material. It means that your building will not take any damage no matter how long you shoot it. You can fix this by looking up building's materials and for each one set MaterialDamage to non-zero, and for each weapon set damageMod to non-zero for current material. This would be tedious (you'd have to go trough all attack materials) and there may be unforeseeable side effects. The alternative is to change materials of your buildings to standard destructible armor. Either way you'd have to open each building in max and look at materials.
In other words: there's no simple way of doing it. At least none that I'm aware of.
dzn.battlefield.pl - my Bf1942 modding website
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Hey dude...

Well destroyable buildings in 1942 would just be PCOs like vehicles, except they are made of lots of "parts". As such, they would be destroyed the same way every time. It would look less obvious if the pieces were smaller, methinks.

Anyways, if you have a lot of free time, all you'd have to do is open the building in gmax/3dsmax, and start cutting it up into pieces. You'd then have to make a new PCO, and attach all those pieces to it. Then give it a new mat ID with low HP, so it can be destroyed somewhat easily..

Basically, a huge pain in the ass. haha
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

doh boy
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
freddy

Post by freddy »

well i guess he could keep the building in one piece and just mask them "vanishing" with a effect or two, going from lots of smoke to a big explosion or something and maybe add some ObjectTemplate.addArmorEffect 0 e_scrapmetal 0/0/0 to like i dunno 10-20 of them?
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

something that would look extremely good,is if he splits the building into lots of peaces in max and then plugs the building into reactor engine in max just like I did the in skeleton tut for ragdolls,then made the building fall in reactor and created the animation off of it,it would look super realistic,but would probably take a couple of days.
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

why so?,i don't want destructible buildings atm :P but if u make a building ill be happy to do rector work on it
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

it take long time,me not got much time,but I may try
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Yeah...mr. mamba, take a pretty simple building you know you're gonna need, and ask pink to work on that one...

Mr. Pink, I have an idea to make your job easier..:

If you can imagine it, this is how DICE did it for Battlefield 1943. Even though the building is "destroyable" its still kind of the lazy way, for a new game haha.

Basically even in its most "destroyed" state, the building still exists. Whats left is the frame..: The light gray part. The walls though are made up of chunks (The dark gray pieces with dotted lines). So if you're gonna do it, I'd recommend doing it that way...should save you a headache.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

For BF1942, I would recommend trying it with the least amount of PCOs as possible. If there are too many PCOs it could cause network lag. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Archimonday

Post by Archimonday »

That would be my choice to make the best looking destructables, but if you find yourself at a lack of performance, it may be best to make some nice dust effects, and just do the classic "wreck" destructable.