RFA Packing Error

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
BF1942_DC

RFA Packing Error

Post by BF1942_DC »

New to modding....i watched the tuts by Fooks and got my directories all set up and made a decent starter map w/ ED42.

But, now when i go to RFA packing it gives me this error....

thought maybe this might be a common error for noobs, so i did a search of this forum but had no luck.

help,
BF1942_DC

Re: RFA Packing Error

Post by BF1942_DC »

found in another thread... that said to use MDT to pack the folder to rfa.

Did that, but when i put my new map in the levels folder of my bf dir.
bf1942 won't start w/ my new rfa in that dir. Shows the splash screen then nothing else.
when i remove the rfa from the levels forlder bf starts as normal.
archer

Post by archer »

Welcome aboard.
Looks like path error. Battlefield hates it when your rfa archives don't have proper paths inside them.
You probably packed just the level folder (for example Bocage) and that gives you just /Bocage as the path, while it should have been /bf1942/levels/Bocage.
If your rfa tool allows it, set "archive base path" or something to bf1942/levels/<your_map_name>. If it doesn't, create a new folder, call it 'bf1942', inside it create another one, call it 'levels', and finally move your map folder inside 'levels'. Then use your rfa tool to pack the 'bf1942' directory and it should be fine. If in doubt, show us some screenshots and/or upload your rfa file somewhere.
dzn.battlefield.pl - my Bf1942 modding website
BF1942_DC

Post by BF1942_DC »

Thanks for the reply archer but that doesnt seem to work either. Maybe its just me. dunno

Here's a pic of my fist quick map i made..... just a zero on top of a hill. I made a soldier spawn point (next to the plane)
but when i reload from a save it doesnt seem to show up. Guess i'll worry about that later. I'd just like to be able to load the map for now.

I use MDT/WinRFA to pack the file. I set it to base path of bf1942.

Here is a pic of the files in the dir after a save....

Here is my .RFA
http://tinyurl.com/yz8qkgw 11Megs

---------------------------------------------

I thought well since I can't get a newly created map to work I'll try and load a map that i know works and just mod it slightly,
then try to save it and see if that works. So I loaded up one of the original maps (Kursk) and then just deleted a single section of fencing
and saved it - then packed it and this had same results as my newmap. The original Kursk had many files in the dir...my save had just a few like the pic above.
Anyway, I decided to copy over the new files I had just made into the extracted Kursk.rfa dir (overwriting existing files), which didnt work either.

There was 3 files associated w/ the Kursk.rfa i was able to extract two but the other was a single dds file. I just left that alone. Mabye that was my prob. Or combining the two files into one caused a problem.
archer

Post by archer »

The init.con in your map says:

Code: Select all

rem This is a minimal configuration file created by Editor42
rem so that it can load back levels it has created.
rem This level will not load in Battlefield 1942 with this config.
rem Replace this config with a template or from one of another level.
Looks like editor42 can't create levels on it's own.
Try reading some documentation or wait till someone more familiar with ed42 helps you ( I've always been using battlecraft )
dzn.battlefield.pl - my Bf1942 modding website
Marshall_Nord

Post by Marshall_Nord »

Greetings BF1942_DC,

I use ED42 exclusively and find it easier to use an existing map and then modify it to meet your needs. Honestly, I’ve never used the “pack map” command in Editor 42. I pack the maps outside of the editor using the MakeRFA utility from the command prompt.
Nodbrother

Post by Nodbrother »

The reason your map is not working is because it is missing shitloads of files and folders. The best thing I can tell you is to unpack any existing map, and look what folders you need to get your map running. I will give you an example: what game mode do you want to play? Good luck!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (88.54 KiB) Viewed 13819 times
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

Can you plz post the code of the .vbs file the error occurs in (the one in the error message)?
Maybe I can "debug" it for you and make it a little more stable. I assume it has something to do with relative and absolute paths... Just a guess.