ed42 controls

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Shark7

ed42 controls

Post by Shark7 »

hey
i tried out ED42 the other day and set it up just like in fo0k's vid, but i m confused as to how to actually rotate the camera and change camera angles.
if anyone could post any other really basic keyboard controls would also be great :)
how do i "publish" my modded map so i can play it in battlefield in any game mode???
last question ;) how do i mod an existing map (ie: wake island) in ed42?
thanks in advance
PS ive already looked in the form but couldnt find anything
Senshi

Re: ed42 controls

Post by Senshi »

F1 Heightmap Mode
F2 Texture Mode
F3 Material Map mode
F4 Objekt Mode
Spacebar Toggle between free-camera and free-cursor mode. Space or ESC to exit
A, S, D and W Move camera. W forward, S backward, A left, D right.
SHIFT + Move Move slower
Q Teleport to cursor. VERY USEFULL!!!
CTRL + 0-9 Save position
0-9 Recall position
TAB Toggle overhead map
M Toggle minimap preview. (CPU intensive, it will take a few seconds)
G Toggle Grid view
T Toggle Details texture
O Toggle Objects display
CTRL + S Save current mode only. Also, in minimap preview, only minimap is saved.
CTRL + SHIFT + S Save all modes, including heightmap, textures, materials and minimap.

Heightmap mode
Left mouse button Raise/Lower : Raise terrain -- Level : Level terrain to pointed position height -- Set : Set terrain to picked height -- Smooth : Smooth terrain
Right mouse button Raise/Lower : Lower terrain --Level : Level terrain to initial position -- Set : Pick current height -- Smooth : Smooth terrain (same as LMB)
SHIFT + MouseWheel Change brush speed
CTRL + MouseWheel Change brush size

Texture mode
Left mouse button Paint using current color source.
R Toggle road texturing mode. R or ESC to exit
E Change current colorsource layer settings
L Change sun position. Just point and press L.
SHIFT + MouseWheel Texture mode : Change brush opacity
MouseWheel (Road mode) Change brush size

Material mode
Left mouse button Paint using current material
Right mouse button Pick material
SHIFT + MouseWheel Material mode : Cycle material type

Object mode
Left mouse button Select object
Right mouse drag Move, Rotate, Scale selected object. Cancel object creation (when creating).
CTRL + Select Select multiple objects
SHIFT + Any move Smoother object move
MouseWheel Move object up and down
Page Up / Down Move object up and down
Delete Delete current selection
Insert Clone current selection
SHIFT + Create Create object in random direction (for planting forests).
Z Set action to move
X Set action to rotate
C Set action to scale
Return Open properties window (for spawners, spawn points and control points only).

Simply pack your finished map with WinRFA or packRFA (both can be found in the MDT) in the correct format, then put it in your levels-folder.

Modding existing map: Open it with WinRFA, unpack it to the bfdev-folder (the one Ed42 creates). The subfolders will be created automatically (as they are included in the .rfa-files too), then you can choose it to load from within Ed42 like any other map. Remember that vanilla maps have a wake_island.rfa, a _000.rfa and a _003.rfa usually (_000 is unimportant, only contains a briefing screen, but _003 contains many gameplay changes that you should use too).
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

wow thank you VERY much
this clears up alot :)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Most important when mapping with Ed42. Press Ctrl+S often. Like, really really really often. Whenever you have finished another small part of mapping, press Ctrl+S. Be it the fidgeting of some objects in the perfect position, be it the texturing of a difficult area or terraforming. Ctrl+S saves the day. Or, at least helps to avoid tons of frustration when Ed42 crashes. And Ed42 crashes. Just happens...but BC42 can do that too ;) , only it doesn't have the cool Ctrl+S.

And yes, use Ctrl+S to save the current mode only and not Ctrl+Shift+S. If you make the full save, there's a higher chance Ed42 messes up during the save procedure and crashes. You can minimize the damage by saving the current mode beforehand. This is a general rule, if you want to finish mapping and want to save&close Ed42, save with Ctrl+S the individual modes and then you can close the editor.