Making larger ocean waves

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
jeffatcan

Making larger ocean waves

Post by jeffatcan »

Hey guys/girls,

this website rocks and I've been learning so much from all these great posts.

I've been trying to find out if there is any way to make ocean waves (water effect) larger in height. I want to simulate the feel of boats and people floating in the water and be knocked around.

Thank you,

-Jeff
Swaffy

Re: Making larger ocean waves

Post by Swaffy »

3D waves are way later than the time of BF 1942. The water in this game is a flat plane and only has animated textures to make the water look like it has waves.

You can try to emulate it by editing the floaters on all the sea vehicles and putting them on rotational bundles, which would be a ton of work. (And probably be ridiculously buggy)
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

As Swaffy pointed out, realistic 3D waves in BF1942 that alter the physical environment of the game are not possible to mod into the game. At least, not without editing the BF1942.exe, but that's quite a hassle.

Your best bet would be to create some sort of platform object placed beneath the water level of the lake/ocean/sea/river you wish to mod and on which you attach some sort of mechanism to trigger waves. The platform would be invisible however the wave triggering mechanism could be made to match the color of the body of water on which you want to have waves. How to make that wave triggering mechanism is beyond me at this moment but I'll think of something. Stay posted!
See my Strasbourg map project here.
jeffatcan

Post by jeffatcan »

Wow! Thank you for the quick post back.
This website rocks. I suspected that bf1942 may be limited to not being able to create waves without a major hassel.

-Jeff
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

1942 is limited, but not nearly as much as other games.
It's gotta nice coding environment, unlike GTA San Andreas which has all the vehicle parameters in 1 file. UHG!
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:all the vehicle parameters in 1 file. UHG!
ouch
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™