creating a sound.rfa patch for DC Final Mod

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
NUKE

creating a sound.rfa patch for DC Final Mod

Post by NUKE »

Currently I am working on an installer for the game (ya, yet another one ;) ), which is installing the main game, xpacks and desert combat (0.7 and 0.8). When installing in russian, I want to add an option to install russian dialogs for the radio commands. In order to save space for the setup file and to be able to easily switch back to original sounds after the installation, I would like to install a sound_003.rfa patch in the mod folder. Problem is the patch doesn't work, I still hear the original sounds :( . It only works when I replace the files in the sound.rfa, but as I said I would prefer to have a patch.
Do I have to modifly .con files in other archives to make the patch work?
MegaloDon

Re: creating a sound.rfa patch for DC Final Mod

Post by MegaloDon »

I'm not familiar with the sound.rfa but I'll assume it works the same way (in general) as the map files as far as patching. For the map files, you don't have to change any other files when you add eg. wake_001.rfa. But any files that are in wake_001.rfa have to be complete. For example if I wanted to add another FighterSpawner to ObjectSpawns.con, I can't just put the code for the FighterSpawner in it. It has to have ALL the original code PLUS whatever changes you made. Any files you put in the patch will completely replace the originals.

I don't know if this is your issue. Just wanted to point that out in case you didn't know.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Try sound_005.rfa or sound_999.rfa ... I don't remember, but I've heard the game can be pretty anal about what numbers you use.

Other than that, I'm just not sure.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I tried so hard for the patch RFA's to work, but it never did.
Might be the number used. I've forgotten all of 1942's quirks now, because I'm fighting the windows 8.1 compatibility.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
MegaloDon

Post by MegaloDon »

Vilespring wrote:I've forgotten all of 1942's quirks now, because I'm fighting the windows 8.1 compatibility.
Did you try this patch? http://jrc-core.com/files/BF1942-vista-win7-fix.rar
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

thank you for your answers, but it ididn't help :( .Tried to name the patch archive sound_005.rfa, 999, 998, nothing worked. I also tried to make a patch which contains all the original soundfiles + the modified soundfiles and it still didn't work. It seems in this case the game does look for files only in predefined places, it definitely works if I replace the files in the sound.rfa. Any1 knows where in the game it is defined where to take the audio files from?
Another funny thing that I found out while experimenting, when I set the game language to "German" in the registry and in the audio settings you have to enable "German dialogues", even in Desert Combat Final mod, the game takes the german radio sounds from bf1942 :)
Vilespring wrote:I tried so hard for the patch RFA's to work, but it never did.
Might be the number used. I've forgotten all of 1942's quirks now, because I'm fighting the windows 8.1 compatibility.
If you use the origin based version, I strongly recommend you to switch back to the disc based one. I also have win 8.1 and the origin version was crashing all time on map changes. With the disc version + the compatibility fix mentioned above I have almost no crashes anymore on a mapchange.
MegaloDon

Post by MegaloDon »

I am also running the disc version.
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

If do you have the BF 1942 Origin Version, you cannot use the Editor. The Editor only Accept the CD Version only. Got Battlefield 1942 Anthology as CD, and then you can use all the Editor features. I have try also open a RFA Data with the Battlecraft Editor, but it don't accept my Origin BF 1942. I was interest on the BF 1918 3.1 Files, which never finished.
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I have a torrent of the original BF1942 ("disk") if you need it.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I have retail with both expansion packs! :D
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"