How Could He Do that!?!?!?!?!!?!???!?!!?!!!!?!?!?!?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
freddy

Re: How Could He Do that!?!?!?!?!!?!???!?!!?!!!!?!?!?!?

Post by freddy »

if i remember right one change some stuff in the servers exe file to make it report more players to gametrackers
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

BC doesn't skullfuck your bf42 init.con. It only adds the lines for the mod you were editing. Just remove them from the init.con afterwards and you are good to go.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

lol But BC is a pile of crap in that respect....It shouldn't even need to do that. Did BC not know about the +game command? Jesus. At least they could have just removed the line afterwords...
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

No, that's...uhm...that has to be. Yes. There's no way around that. Law of nature and thing, you know? :D
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

freddy wrote:if i remember right one change some stuff in the servers exe file to make it report more players to gametrackers
You can write a little UDP proxy which you then put in the queue before your server:
Client <=> Proxy (UDP 23000) <=> Gameserver (UDP 23001)

Every client asking for "\info\" will be given a manipulated "numplayers" and "maxplayers" info and voilà... 10390 of 24000 players online! muhar

See here: http://int64.org/docs/gamestat-protocols/gamespy.html

I guess this is what clans like TMP and Punch and Pie did on their servers... Anyway, it does indeed only change the server's appearance, not its functionality.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

naughty.. but kinda cool way to help promote a new mod.. gets a bit of interest in the list. Need to have at least one human in there though or just leaves you feeling cheated.

can it be that hard (lol) to mod the exes and change 64 to 128 and really allow more players though?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Increasing player limit to 128 probably would kill the net engine. The BF42 network engine suffers CTDs and disconnects even if you simply have a lot of objects on a map with networkable info, I doubt having double the number of players on a server will help these issues. Plus, it would be illegal to reverse engineer the .exe as the source still is not open...
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Given how old the game is and the nature of an exe mod like this (theres no financial gain to it) I can't imagine anyone shouting too loud about it.
freddy

Post by freddy »

there was a server running that had this feature of reporting more players then it actually was in the server, and i remember when joining it and just find it empty or with only some few players in one just felt tricked. so i dont think its that good idea if one dont want to piss off the players :) they could at least put some bots in to make it more realistic.

i have been looking at the player limit before but im just a "hobby" coder so dunno really what and how it works, but i think it would be doable.