Making CTF maps out of non CTF maps

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
DinkW

Making CTF maps out of non CTF maps

Post by DinkW »

HI All

Ok I have been trying to make a CTF map out of Iwo Jima for a couple of days now and although I can make the patch file getting it to run SS is causing me problems.
My first question is : Is it even possible to do this and if it is does anyone have any ideas how it might be completed?

I have added a CTF.con file into the root that looks like this:

Code: Select all

run Ctf/SpawnpointManagerSettings
run Ctf/SoldierSpawnTemplates
run Ctf/SoldierSpawns
run Ctf/ObjectSpawnTemplates

if v_arg1 == host
rem ----- Host 
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
	run Ctf/ObjectSpawns

rem *** CREATE FLAG BASES ***
	object.create jpbase
	Object.absolutePosition 1101.51/77.4669/918.225
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create usbase
	Object.absolutePosition 652.584/93.0164/1420.88
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
else

rem ----- Join
	rem *** CREATE FLAG BASES ***
	object.create FlagPole 
	Object.absolutePosition 1101.51/77.4669/918.225
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create FlagPole 
	Object.absolutePosition 652.584/93.0164/1420.88
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0
endIf
This is required to force the server manager see Iwo Jima as a CTF map type.
I have then made a patch RFA file for all of the other bits and bobs of the map and this works fine when run on a local machine but the entire thing falls over when run SS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

DinkW
Tuesday

Re: Making CTF maps out of non CTF maps

Post by Tuesday »

I know that it is possible but I'm not sure how it is done :?
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi

Yes I agree I am sure it is possible and I am so close but just need a little help with the last bit :?

Is there anyone who can help?

Tuia are you still here?

Thanks

DinkW
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Here you go, found in the ''Basic Tutorials'' section of this site: http://bfmods.com/tutorial28cb.php?page=making_ctf.html

You just had to look a little ;)
See my Strasbourg map project here.
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Yes I have already looked at this tutorial which is where the basis of the code in my first post comes from :?

It is this code that is causing the client to crash when it is run as a SS mod hence my initial question.

Creating the spawns etc I have done within the RFA patch file and this works well when run locally but until I can get the SS mod to run an Iwo Jima CTF map I cant even start to put that part in?

DinkW
freddy

Post by freddy »

DinkW wrote:Yes I have already looked at this tutorial which is where the basis of the code in my first post comes from :?

It is this code that is causing the client to crash when it is run as a SS mod hence my initial question.

Creating the spawns etc I have done within the RFA patch file and this works well when run locally but until I can get the SS mod to run an Iwo Jima CTF map I cant even start to put that part in?

DinkW
not sure i understand this correctly, but if you make such massive changes to a map, you must use the same files for both the server and the client
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi Freddy

And here we are back to my original question :)

The tutorial says it is indeed possible to make CTF maps out of non CTF maps my question was is it possible to do this as a SS mod or does it only work if the client has all of the same files. It kind of implies that it is possible as a SS mod in the tutorial but I am beginning to think this is not the case :? and I quote "making a map ctf with only server side mods possible??? HELL YES" is this correct?

Thanks DinkW
freddy

Post by freddy »

there is to much change to get it to work as a ssm mod, best you can do is to just place some ctf flags in for example the cq mode
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Some say it can be done others say it cant?

I have seen and indeed played on a BoB map that has been made into a CTF map and his was a SS mod, I do not remember that ever being a CTF map so in some way it must be possible.

DinkW
freddy

Post by freddy »

freddy wrote:best you can do is to just place some ctf flags in for example the cq mode
yes, you can put the ctf flags in a map, just place them with create and positions as you would with a spawner.

when you do that you cant see the flags but not the flagpoles, you can use two flags, each from opposite team, if you use more flags it gets messy.

example code

Code: Select all

rem************** ctf flags  ****************
Object.create JPbase
Object.absolutePosition 1260.57/46.5/1724.2
Object.rotation 0/0/0

Object.create USbase
Object.absolutePosition 816.5/64/313.5
Object.rotation 0/0/0
you have to do this in a existing mode like conquest, you cant make up a own conquer_the_flag mode to a map and get that to work serverside modded because the clients doesn´t have a conquer_the_flag mode in there version of the map.