Making CTF maps out of non CTF maps

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
DinkW

Re: Making CTF maps out of non CTF maps

Post by DinkW »

Hi Again Freddy

Ok so if I have this right I can make a CTF style map within a CQ environment but without the flagpoles, as these would be invisible. If my code actually puts the flags on pre existing flagpoles that are already in the CQ map will the poles show then? My code puts the CTF flags on the Axis airfield and one on top of the mountain these poles are both already in the CQ game mode so they should appear right?

Also do you have any idea how to change the scoring system to reflect that it is now CTF and not CQ?

Many thanks for all your help

DinkW
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Shrooms helped me convert an interstate82 map to CTF.....just sayin :oops:
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Do you still have the file/code?

Would you be willing to share for reference? ;)

DinkW
freddy

Post by freddy »

DinkW wrote:Hi Again Freddy

Ok so if I have this right I can make a CTF style map within a CQ environment but without the flagpoles, as these would be invisible. If my code actually puts the flags on pre existing flagpoles that are already in the CQ map will the poles show then? My code puts the CTF flags on the Axis airfield and one on top of the mountain these poles are both already in the CQ game mode so they should appear right?
yes!
DinkW wrote:Also do you have any idea how to change the scoring system to reflect that it is now CTF and not CQ?

Many thanks for all your help

DinkW
the scoring system is in the game.rfa file, there is three files, ScoreManagerSettings.con, ScoreManagerSettingsCTF.con and ScoreManagerSettingsTDM.con

you can open them and edit the settings to your likings. unfortunately the server loads this files after the map is loaded so it will be edited for all maps you run in the server.
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Ok All

Still trying to get this to work and not getting very :( someone must know the answer to this?
I have made a root RFA folder with this CTF.con added to both the root and to Game types folder

Code: Select all

run Ctf/SpawnpointManagerSettings

run Ctf/SoldierSpawnTemplates
run Ctf/SoldierSpawns

run Ctf/ObjectSpawnTemplates

if v_arg1 == host
rem ----- Host 
rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
	run Ctf/ObjectSpawns

rem *** CREATE FLAG BASES ***
	object.create jpbase
	Object.absolutePosition 2096.16/81.6/1891.57
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create usbase
	Object.absolutePosition 2431.62/91.7977/1196.04
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

rem ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
else

rem ----- Join
	object.create FlagPole 
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create FlagPole 
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0
endIf
When I run the new Iwo Jima CTF map on the server all seems to be ok but as soon as I try and connect as a client it loads about half way and then falls over. :( :( :( :( :(
I know this can be done because HKHP servers run a BoB CTF server and Mafia used to run Iwo Jima CTF server.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks Dink
freddy

Post by freddy »

If you mean to make this as a ServerSideMod, then you cant make new folders because the clients (players) doesnt have that folders in there maps.

The only thing you need to get the ctf flags in conquest mode is to place them in the conquest folders ObjectSpawns.con file. Nothing else.

use this code only, you can add more code later when you got the flags working.

object.create jpbase
Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create usbase
Object.Rotation 0/0/0
Attachments
mods1.jpg
mods2.jpg
mods3.jpg
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi Freddy

Ok well I thought I would give you an update as to where I am with this and to see if you had any more information you could share.

Using the information you were kind enough to supply along with this that I received from another modder :

"You don't alter the Conquest point system to resemble CTF, you actually have to create the CTF part that is left out.

Take any original CTF map, preferably on that does not have a bunch of extras in it. El Alamein or Gazala would be good ones, Berlin too I think. Look at the main map RFA not the patches, and see what is in there. You would then have to create the same in the main Iwo RFA on your server to get the CTF option. Once you do that, you can then just create an IWO patch RFA with all of your mods that you want.

It is difficult and frustrating, but very rewarding when you get it done. It takes time to do it all. Work in small batches. Change a few things, then test, then change a few more then test. If you try and change a whole bunch of things at once and something doesn't work, it makes it a lot harder to track down which thing is causing the problem."

So created a CTF.con file in the map root file that as you suggested only contains the following:

if v_arg1 == host
rem ----- Host 

object.create redBase
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create blueBase
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

endIf
This is also copied to the "Game Types" folder to force the BFSM to see it as a CTF map.
This creates a CTF map with two flags but not in the correct place, I didn't want to change this at this point but simply copied the CTF.con that already exist in the Iwo Jima map that was never used.

Next I made a patch file to put the flags where I need them to be that looks like this:

if v_arg1 == host
rem ----- Host 

object.create jpbase
	Object.absolutePosition 1101.51/77.4669/918.225
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create usbase
	Object.absolutePosition 652.584/93.0164/1420.88
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

endIf
I then added to the patch file the following and this added the vehicles and the carrier and battleship spawn points as in the conquest map but none of the spawn control points.

run Conquest/ObjectSpawnTemplates
run Conquest/SoldierSpawns

if v_arg1 == host
rem ----- Host 
	run Conquest/ObjectSpawns
	run Conquest/ControlPoints

object.create jpbase
	Object.absolutePosition 1101.51/77.4669/918.225
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

object.create usbase
	Object.absolutePosition 652.584/93.0164/1420.88
	Object.Rotation 0/0/0

endIf
Now I could add another couple of carriers and ships and rip the spawn points from them and add them into map but what I don't understand is why cant I simply add the conquest code and have it run, the files already exist in game so they should run or am I missing something eg:

run Conquest/SpawnpointManagerSettings

run Conquest/SoldierSpawnTemplates
run Conquest/SoldierSpawns

run Conquest/ObjectSpawnTemplates
run Conquest/ControlPointTemplates
If I put these in to the map crashes out again, does it load these in a set order and could that have something to do with it?

Thanks for you time

DinkW
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Are you sure the SpawnPointManageSettings isn't causing your crash? I'd have to look at it again but it's the only one that seems out of place.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
freddy

Post by freddy »

DinkW wrote:So created a CTF.con file in the map root file that as you suggested only contains the following:
You are mixing serversidemodding with clientside modding.

This is ClientSideModding
DinkW wrote: "You don't alter the Conquest point system to resemble CTF, you actually have to create the CTF part that is left out.

Take any original CTF map, preferably on that does not have a bunch of extras in it. El Alamein or Gazala would be good ones, Berlin too I think. Look at the main map RFA not the patches, and see what is in there. You would then have to create the same in the main Iwo RFA on your server to get the CTF option. Once you do that, you can then just create an IWO patch RFA with all of your mods that you want.

It is difficult and frustrating, but very rewarding when you get it done. It takes time to do it all. Work in small batches. Change a few things, then test, then change a few more then test. If you try and change a whole bunch of things at once and something doesn't work, it makes it a lot harder to track down which thing is causing the problem."

This is ServerSideModding
freddy wrote:The only thing you need to get the ctf flags in conquest mode is to place them in the conquest folders ObjectSpawns.con file. Nothing else.
DinkW

Post by DinkW »

Hi Freddy

I really do not want to question your expertise in such matters but I have seen this work. There is already a server running a CTF modded map of BoB and the guy who set that server up is the same who wrote that quoted comment and it certainly not a client side mod. I have already got CTF Iwo Jima working just no capable flags but by following these instructions I have managed to use the existing carrier spawns that already existed in the CQ version of the map and fly around in this CTF version of the map and the mod is totally serverside.

If I really cant get the capable bases to work then I will simply rip the spawners from another carrier or battleship to get both teams spawn points, which is as suggested by the tutorial on this very subject on this website.
I was curious why if I link to a pre-existing file in my .con file why it has trouble running it and yet the same file runs fine when run as a CQ map? Whilst I accept it will be impossible to add folders this folder already is in the game so why does it crash out when run from a different .con file?

DinkW