Fake water acting like real water..

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Fake water acting like real water..

Post by fo0k »

Water is essentially just a flat plane and when the player reaches a certain distance below it an animation is triggered right? just like when you use a ladder.. Any ideas on making an object (flat plane) which will trigger the swimming/floating animation when you are on it? Could be cool for custom water levels and especially being then able to create a tunnel under water..

Sounds possible but Im not sure on the code for triggering animations like this/ladders.. I know its just a matid for ladders. can a custom one be made for a mod which would get the swimming animations going?
Apache Thunder

Re: Fake water acting like real water..

Post by Apache Thunder »

Not that I know of. I tried giving the mat ID for water to a mesh for a swimming pool in Gulf of Oman, but the swimming action wasn't triggered. I couldn't jump while on the water mesh though. :P
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Poow

Post by Poow »

And do not touch materials with water IDs with a vehicle :P
But it looks funny to shoot at one. :D
You’re entering a world of pain!
freddy

Post by freddy »

perhaps the swim animation is triggered by the GeometryTemplate.waterLevel 38 (example) that would mean its hardcoded in the exe?

maybe you could try this by setting different values for server/client
Losnar

Post by Losnar »

That's pretty cool stuff. Sticky ground is good. What happens with the vehicle, it shuts down and takes damage? I like it.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah. Apparently I forgot to set the mat ID for a concrete road block in my Midnight at Berlin map. So the default was 1. (which happens to be the mat ID for water).

So even barely running into one even at really slow speed resulted in the vehicles exploding from hitting it. Also note that when I drove into them very very slow so that it won't kill me, the vehicle almost goes through the object entirely! It gets nudged back eventually, but it is a very odd behavior for a mat ID. No other mat ID behaves like this when used on a object mesh. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Poow

Post by Poow »

Apache Thunder wrote: So even barely running into one even at really slow speed resulted in the vehicles exploding from hitting it.
Yea, looks stupid^^

No other mat ID behaves like this when used on a object mesh.
My wooden car (never finished it) had the "wood" ID it was quite funny you could drive into the tanks without getting any damage but the tanks exploded in seconds. :D

You’re entering a world of pain!