WeaponTemplate.indirect [0/1]

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

WeaponTemplate.indirect [0/1]

Post by Swaffy »

I see this in AI templates, but what does it do? If it is set to 1, what happens? For example, if it is set to 1 and used on a machinegun tempate?

I looked at the BF: MDT backup site but it says nothing. I tried a search here, but no one has talked about it.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
BotHunter

Re: WeaponTemplate.indirect [0/1]

Post by BotHunter »

Direct means the need to aim at the object to hurt it. Indirect means that you need to aim near it. eg. Artillery, Battleship guns ect.
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

The thing is, I tried indirect on one of my MGs and the bot still tried to aim directly at the enemy before shooting.
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

I think they still try to aim at the target. they just don't make it a priority.
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I think it might initiate arc trajectory calculations for firing long distances/over hills.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:I think it might initiate arc trajectory calculations for firing long distances/over hills.
That's what I was thinking after I saw the bot looking at enemies through objects and the heightmap. Must be arc trajectory related.
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

It's plain simple:

indirect means that bots can fire OVER obstacles, so it's a must for any artillery piece and ship guns which are to be used as artillery pcos (with the proper coding of course !).
It doesn't make any sense to give a straight shooting weapon like a rifle, tank gun etc. an indirect firing, ONLY weapons shooting in an arc must have them.
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

If weaponTemplate.indirect is set to true (1), the weapon is fired in the 45-90 degree range, if it is set to false (0), it is fired in the 0-45 degree range.

Although most weapons in the game are set to true, I have read in some coding forums that setting both burst and indirect to true (1) increases the bots ability to aim (and therefor use) certain weapons more effectively, like anti-aircraft weapons for instance. I have not, however, played with this personally.

Hope this helps.