Sound bug in Forgotten Hope Secret Weapon

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Skull Kid

Sound bug in Forgotten Hope Secret Weapon

Post by Skull Kid »

This is what I get from the last two lines of the log made by the BF1942_r.exe.

Engine\SfxPc\Sample.cpp(82): Assert: SfxPc: (chunkSize == ( stream->length() - 8 )) Sound/44kHz/tnkstrt.wav is corrupt. Error: Wrong chunk size.
Engine\SfxPc\Sample.cpp(139): Assert: SfxPc: (chunkSize <= ( stream->length() - 44 )) Sound/44kHz/tnkstrt.wav is corrupt. Error: Data size to large.

Berlin Outskirts loads fine, but most if not all other maps does not. So if anybody here knows what those lines up there means, and how I can solve the problem, please feel free to reply.
Regards,

Skull Kid
duffman

Re: Sound bug in Forgotten Hope Secret Weapon

Post by duffman »

Most likely the wave file is saved in a "newer" format and contains headers
that mismatch with what bf1942 expects.

To find out open the wave file in a sound program and verify that is not a
corrupt file (you can hear the sound is correct).

Then "downgrade" the sound file format (does not affect quality).
See this page for a similar issue, how to "downgrade" the format
and also has links to tools for the job:

http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=2058
Seth

Post by Seth »

(Quote from: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6912&p=2)
Skull Kid wrote:I will have to install the Forgotten Hope map pack 6 in the Secret Weapon folder (mods\fhsw\archives\bf1942\levels) right?
Wrong. You install the FH map packs in FH's levels folder and the FHSW map packs in FHSW's levels folder.

Here are a couple of installation guides for FHSW:

https://www.moddb.com/members/eyeris/tutorials/installation-guide-for-fhsw
http://fhsw-europ.ucoz.de/forum/21-896-1

If one installation method does not work for you, try another one, and report if you find that a method has an issue and where (if you can).
Skull Kid wrote:This is what I get from the last two lines of the log made by the BF1942_r.exe.
Do you also get similar crashes with the normal executable?

Do try the 4GB patch mentioned in the installation guides on the executable(s) you are trying to run the game from (keep backups of the original executables just in case).

The game may sometimes crash if certain other programs are running in the background, especially media players, browsers, some programs that try to show overlays/on-screen displays while the game is in full screen mode, so you can try stopping all those and then if it works see if you can pinpoint which one was the culprit and then report it here.

Try joining a server instead of creating a local one from the menu.

Try disabling the sound from the settings just as a test.
Skull Kid wrote:EDIT: No error message whatsoever, just kicks me back to the main menu.
This is super odd. I don't think I've ever seen such behavior, other than when pressing the Esc key.

Try things one by one and pinpoint the thing which makes it work.

Only when you have it working you can proceed installing various other map packs (other than the required ones) and sound/texture packs or other modifications or additions for BF1942, FH or FHSW one by one and you should test if any of those break FHSW (or other mods).
Bitcoin address: 1NEoGgsFS9vxLT3eW4w6RFdvzPXLpQX66t
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

I do really appreciate any reply at the moment. I thank you both duffman and Seth, for your very helpful replies.

@duffman: Quite true. I will try looking into this if nothing else helps.

@Seth: Yes, I realized that I have to leave Forgotten Hope as is, and Secret Weapon as is. Right now, with or without the STFHSW, Secret Weapon won't work either way. I will try to apply the 4 GB patch, and see if that helps and report back here.

EDIT: I hereby declare this problem solved! The 4 GB patch did it!
Regards,

Skull Kid