Idea about making towable guns

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Vilespring

Idea about making towable guns

Post by Vilespring »

This is my second post after just posting one, I hope that is okay. :|
So, anyways. I have an idea to make towable guns for BF 1942.
The carriage the gun is on will have an adjustable beam that the hook goes on. The beam its self has no collision, but at the end of the beam, there is a ball. On the towing vehicle, there is two semicircle balls that are hollowed out so the ball on the gun can fit in it. The two semicircles will clam shell over the ball, and be attatched onto rotational bundles so that it can be opened and closed.

I think that would work. What do you think? :D
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Vilespring

Re: Idea about making towable guns

Post by Vilespring »

Here is a high-tech paint picture made in a minute by Vilespring (tm) :lol:
trailer hook.JPG
The yellow is the ball on the gun carriage, the red is the clam-shell on the tow vehicle.

EDIT: Note that the drawing is 2d, and the ball and the clam-shell would be spherical.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

MarkNL

Post by MarkNL »

That's a very interesting idea! Personally, I do like to see that in-game. Yea, I'm curious. ;)
One shall stand, one shall fall!
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

As a little request; I would like someone to make these two parts for testing, because I stink at Gmax.
and, please make the origin of the semicircles be where the center of the ball would be, because I want to add it without much coordinates errors.

Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

okay. I'm daring and making my first geometry. It is doing alright, kinda.
I have the hook ball, and I'm making the clam shell. I have the hemisphere with the tow ball positioned where I want to cut it. One catch, how do I use a geometry as a cutter for another geometry? Because help would be loved.

EDIT:Never mind. I started playing with all the functions. I should have a video soon of a tow gun.
P.S. is it possible to run the game with the RFAs unpacked? the packing is wasting my time. Do I just put the unpacked folder where the RFA would be?

freddy

Post by freddy »

Vilespring wrote:P.S. is it possible to run the game with the RFAs unpacked? the packing is wasting my time. Do I just put the unpacked folder where the RFA would be?
i havent tried with the game files, but with the server files and that didnt end well. however i think i heard a rumour you could use the debugger but iwé never tried that myself.
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Not sure if this will help, but Battle group 42 has tow able anti-tank cannons. They are quite basic, with just a truck or something towing the cannon, and then the cannon bobs up and down, but if you need any assistance or coding just look it up!
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I saw, I'm trying to make it more realistic, like able to re-attach them (like FH's guns) and have then react realistically. For example, when starting to go up a hill, I want the gun to stay level when still on the flap part, and in the BG 42 version, you can hold turn and the gun turns, even if static. I want realism! :lol:

Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Vilespring wrote:P.S. is it possible to run the game with the RFAs unpacked? the packing is wasting my time. Do I just put the unpacked folder where the RFA would be?
A good alternative is to edit them in BGA and hit Save. Or extract only the file that you are editing (such as 3D models, sounds, things that are not text) and replace them after you're done editing them. What I do is just extract the file to my Desktop and delete them when I'm done editing and saving them in the RFA.
smurf118 wrote:Not sure if this will help, but Battle group 42 has tow able anti-tank cannons. They are quite basic, with just a truck or something towing the cannon, and then the cannon bobs up and down, but if you need any assistance or coding just look it up!

It's a different way of making a "towable" trailer, it simply uses a rotational bundle. So basically, the "trailer" will rotate even if the vehicle isn't moving. It's also bad if the vehicle goes up/down a curved slope, the "trailer" will basically go through the ground or float in the air because it is riding behind the host vehicle.

[hr]

I like the idea of making a "ball" in a collision mesh that acts like the holder for the trailer. The host vehicle (Hanomag, for example) can have a three-layered collision ball near its trailer hitch, ((O)) and the trailer has a three-layered collision mesh that has its faces facing in the opposite direction ((( ))) and goes around the host vehicle's collision ball. Therefore, ((( ((O)) ))) except it will be a full sphere. Have you ever glitched behind walls in a game? One side you can go through and is invisible and the other side you cannot go through and is visible. Same goes for this collision ball idea. Make the two faces face each other and they will collide. If the first layer goes through, the second or third layer will "glitch" the collision ball back to the middle, thus keeping the trailer hatched.

[Edit] In theory, this method allows for the attaching of a non-attached trailer, but not the detaching of one.

Last edited by Swaffy on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Swaffy wrote:[Edit] In theory, this method allows for the attaching of a non-attached trailer, but not the detaching of one.
I'm making the holder ball on the tractor 2 hemispheres, that can open and close. :)

EDIT: what I mean by running without the RFAs is; I have the objects of 1942 unpacked, and in a folder called "my_mod", which is totally irrelevant to the point. So, I make a time tweak that fixes a name error, and wait two minutes to pack my MAMMOTH mod. Can I run the game by putting the objects folder that is is in the RFA in the place of where the RFA is in the archives (am I confusing you? :? ), so I can tweak, save, and run, without having to waste time packing the behemoth?