Using Digital Elevation Models (DEM) to make Heightmaps

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

Using Digital Elevation Models (DEM) to make Heightmaps

Post by Diamondback »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to convert Digital Elevation Models, which are Raster datasets, into a RAW file format that BF1942 understands.

More info about Rasters (first link) and DEMs (second link) here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_graphics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_elevation_model

Basically this would allow me to create heightmaps that are much more realistic instead of having to create them from scratch everytime. Using software such as ArcMap, I am able to select the view extent of the Raster I am working on, and then convert the data to a TIFF file using specific geographic and projected coordinate systems. TIFF files are the default file format for Raster datasets.

The problem I now face is converting the Rasters into the RAW file format that BF1942 uses for heightmaps. After a brief search on Google, I found that the best programs to do so are ImageJ and Irfanview. After trying to save the generated TIFF files I made from ArcMap into RAW using ImageJ, I get an error that says that the generated Heightmap is invalid (from the BF1942 Debugger).

If anyone is familiar with Digital Elevation Models and basic geomatics, could you please point me in the right direction to find a way to convert the TIFF files into BF1942 RAW files, in order to generate a heightmap. I am trying to figure out which conversion settings I should use to convert from TIFF to RAW. So far, nothing has worked.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
takiwa

Re: Using Digital Elevation Models (DEM) to make Heightmaps

Post by takiwa »

easiest way to convert them is in Photoshop...post the .tiff file and I can convert it into .raw for you.
Diamondback

Re: Using Digital Elevation Models (DEM) to make Heightmaps

Post by Diamondback »

takiwa wrote:easiest way to convert them is in Photoshop...post the .tiff file and I can convert it into .raw for you.
I PMed you the file. Thanks a ton!
See my Strasbourg map project here.