Remagen Ironbridge collision problem

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

Remagen Ironbridge collision problem

Post by Diamondback »

Hi guys, the other day I tried to visit the http://www.smig.name website to download a few models, but apparently the site is down.

By luck, I managed to find a web archive that contained a RFA file with all the models, textures included. The only thing missing were the CON files to define the objects and the geometries of the objects.

So I tried to make those CON files from scratch for one object which I really wanted to have on my map, the Remagen Ironbridge. That bridge model used to be available on Smig's site, and it looks amazing. It is a long iron bridge with two rail road tracks. I have tried to make an Objects.con for it with the following code:

ObjectTemplate.create Bundle Remagen_Ironbridge
ObjectTemplate.geometry Remagen_IronBridge_Comp1
ObjectTemplate.HasCollisionPhysics 1
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Remagen_IronBridge_Comp2
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate Remagen_IronBridge_Comp3

ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject Remagen_IronBridge_Comp2
ObjectTemplate.geometry Remagen_IronBridge_Comp2

ObjectTemplate.create SimpleObject Remagen_IronBridge_Comp3
ObjectTemplate.geometry Remagen_IronBridge_Comp3

My Geometries.con file looks like this:

GeometryTemplate.create StandardMesh Remagen_IronBridge_Comp1
GeometryTemplate.file Remagen_IronBridge_Comp1
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 0 0
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 1 15
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 2 35
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 3 60
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 4 100
GeometryTemplate.setLodDistance 5 300

GeometryTemplate.create StandardMesh Remagen_IronBridge_Comp2
GeometryTemplate.file Remagen_IronBridge_Comp2

GeometryTemplate.create StandardMesh Remagen_IronBridge_Comp3
GeometryTemplate.file Remagen_IronBridge_Comp3

The bridge object appears in Editor42 and in game without any issue, but it has no collision, it's basically just a ghost object. I don't have 3dsMax installed right now and was wondering if anyone would like to open the model in Max and give it a collision. I think the MatIDs are correctly assigned, just without collisions.

If you can help me, simply send me a PM and I'll attach the model in RS and SM formats.
Attachments
Remagen_Ironbridge.zip
(678.82 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Last edited by Diamondback on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
takiwa

Re: Remagen Ironbridge collision problem

Post by takiwa »

post the files, I'll take a look
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

But you can find the files in that map.

Sorry I thought you meant the normal iron bridge. I didn't see the Remagen part.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I have added an attachment containing the bridge files in my first post, for anyone who would like to help.
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

Yeah, just took a look and there are no collisions...quick question though...why don't you just use the model of the Remagen Bridge that was released in the map, "Remagen"? It was a public release, so I assume that a credit will suffice when using the objects. If you need a copy of the map, grab it from my mod. All the files are in the map .rfa. Or is there a reason you need Smig's model? The one in the map is a better model, imo...
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

takiwa wrote:Yeah, just took a look and there are no collisions...quick question though...why don't you just use the model of the Remagen Bridge that was released in the map, "Remagen"? It was a public release, so I assume that a credit will suffice when using the objects. If you need a copy of the map, grab it from my mod. All the files are in the map .rfa. Or is there a reason you need Smig's model? The one in the map is a better model, imo...
Would it be possible to reexport the model with working COL meshes? I insist on using this particular model since it has already been placed in my map, using the bridge from the Remagen map means that I have to change the heightmap and realign the bridge correctly (not a big deal though) with the railroads on each side of the bridge.

This particular model is nice because it doesn't allow vehicle crossings, just the train themselves. I think it looks decent and I can't think of a map that uses it, other than mine.
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

Classical Modder wrote:Would it be possible to reexport the model with working COL meshes?
Yes it's possible, if someone wants to do the COLs for it. I honestly don't have time to do that at the moment, I'm working on some bug fixes and a map for my mod right now. Maybe someone else will step up and help out?

Although I can't figure out why Smig would've ever posted it online without collisions....
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

takiwa wrote:
Classical Modder wrote:Would it be possible to reexport the model with working COL meshes?
Yes it's possible, if someone wants to do the COLs for it. I honestly don't have time to do that at the moment, I'm working on some bug fixes and a map for my mod right now. Maybe someone else will step up and help out?

Although I can't figure out why Smig would've ever posted it online without collisions....
It's a shame because I really like the model itself. Lazy modeling...
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

It depends on if trains will have to drive on those tracks, or not. COL meshes very important for the trains that need a track to drive on
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

There's a polycount consideration as well...the 3 meshes are basically the same bridge, one just the frame, one with addition of a sidewalk, and one with addition of tracks.

Comp1 comes in at around 3300 polys, but is the simple model of the frame only.

Comp2 adds a sidewalk, and comes in at almost 8300 polys.

Comp3 adds tracks, and comes in at a hefty 14,100 polys.

IMO, the meshes are a lot more detailed than they need to be, I would much rather use those polys elsewhere, but that's just me. The mesh in the Remagen map comes in at 7500 polys, and that includes the interior and exterior meshes of the towers (which Smig's model doesn't have) , as well as all the add-ons (bases, sidewalks, etc).