Fixing the CTF flag object so it doesn't fall through meshes

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
russ

Re: Fixing the CTF flag object so it doesn't fall through me

Post by russ »

What makes you think it's falling through anything?
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I've tested it.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
russ

Post by russ »

Interesting, did you manually place a flag at some altitude and watch it fall or something, not just seeing it appear on the ground?
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

The CTF flag object doesn't have network info to begin with. I don't think this problem has a solution unfortunately. It's a shame because on maps like DC Sea Rigs I would like to prevent the CTF flag from falling through the rigs, and it can't be done.
Swaffy

Re: Re:

Post by Swaffy »

Classical Modder wrote:I hate BF1942's engine limitations. So frustrating.
You got that right, friend.

Time to make meme guns instead
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
russ

Post by russ »

Fun fact, since the flag just warps to the surface of the terrain, if you kill someone who has the flag while standing next to them but you are on the upper floor of a building you don't return the flag.
freddy

Post by freddy »

About flag radius, there is one for snatching it from the flagpole, and one for returning it. I had flags in Coral Sea, so it made the "return flag" bubble larger and lifted the seafloor a bit so it could be returned if it fell in the water. Worked out ok, only thing was the carriers didnt sink as they used to becasue they got stuck on the raised seafloor.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

This is just an idea but if the flag object only interacts with the terrain, then changing the Mat ID of a mesh so that it matches a "terrain Mat ID" could in theory make the flag stay on the mesh no?

It's worth giving it a shot.
russ

Post by russ »

When the flag is dropped, it doesn't do any interacting. Take a look at dice::ref2::world::Flag::handleDrop. It gets the position of the player's "vehicle", then gets the terrain height and normal at that position. It then sets the flag position to 1.5 meters above the terrain. drop is not a very good description of what is happening.

Once the flag is there, it might be possible for it to interact. Maybe if you add some physics, and/or maybe add a floating bundle.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

russ wrote:When the flag is dropped, it doesn't do any interacting. Take a look at dice::ref2::world::Flag::handleDrop. It gets the position of the player's "vehicle", then gets the terrain height and normal at that position. It then sets the flag position to 1.5 meters above the terrain. drop is not a very good description of what is happening.

Once the flag is there, it might be possible for it to interact. Maybe if you add some physics, and/or maybe add a floating bundle.
Adding physics is something I tried but to no avail. The Flag object is a different class of object which doesn't respond to normal geometry and response commands.

Crappy coding from EA yet again.