.wav file requirements?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
BotHunter

.wav file requirements?

Post by BotHunter »

What special thing do I have to do to a .wav file?? If i edit it in windows sound recorder then It wont work. but if i put in a unedited one it comes out all slow and distorted :x Whats up with it?
Last edited by BotHunter on Wed May 15, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Apache Thunder

Re: .wav file requirements?

Post by Apache Thunder »

From my experience, BF1942 has always been real picky with the wav files. The only app I've found to work for me 100% of the time is "Xilosoft Wav Converter". I edit/create/port a wav file, then run it through that converter. It's also what I use to down sample wav files for the 22Khz and 11Khz wav folders. But don't upsample with this program. It doesn't work correctly. If you up sample a 22kHz to 44kHz, then you'll find the resulting file will play twice as fast. You can upsample with another program like the windows sound recorder app, then run it through this program without changing the frequency and the resulting file(s) will be useuable in BF1942.

I use the wave editor program that comes with the Nero suite for editing sound files. For example, the weapon fire sounds and engine file sounds from Battlefield Heroes needed to be edited to work in BF1942. And the waveditor is what I used. But even that program won't output wave files that BF42 likes. Thus I run all the wav files through that Xilosoft app, and then they work like a charm. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

So it matters which folder I put it in?? I was just taking the same file and putting it in 11,22 and 44
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Well generally yes you should only put wave files sampled at 44kHz in the 44kHz folder and so on with the other ones. It might still work, but you get the best results if they are all in their correct folders.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

every time I do custom sounds I have to go back to school to figure the damn thing out.

It feels like the kinda thing that some bright spark would have made a tool for. some free wav converter and a few batch files for 1942 to spit out the goods? :D
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

I don't know exactly what your problem is with the files, but maybe this helps:

I use "GoldWave" as sound editor, and wave files have to be saved in this format:

Wave PCM signed 16 bit, 44100Hz, stereo (or mono).

The sampling rate depends on the folder they are going in.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Apache Thunder wrote:From my experience, BF1942 has always been real picky with the wav files. The only app I've found to work for me 100% of the time is "Xilosoft Wav Converter". I edit/create/port a wav file, then run it through that converter. It's also what I use to down sample wav files for the 22Khz and 11Khz wav folders. But don't upsample with this program. It doesn't work correctly. If you up sample a 22kHz to 44kHz, then you'll find the resulting file will play twice as fast. You can upsample with another program like the windows sound recorder app, then run it through this program without changing the frequency and the resulting file(s) will be useuable in BF1942.

I use the wave editor program that comes with the Nero suite for editing sound files. For example, the weapon fire sounds and engine file sounds from Battlefield Heroes needed to be edited to work in BF1942. And the waveditor is what I used. But even that program won't output wave files that BF42 likes. Thus I run all the wav files through that Xilosoft app, and then they work like a charm. :D
I use Vegas Movie Studio and it works just fine for WAV sound file conversions.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Sarge31FR wrote:I use "GoldWave" as sound editor, and wave files have to be saved in this format:

Wave PCM signed 16 bit, 44100Hz, stereo (or mono).
Yes! Use this program! I love the heck out of it and use it for everything related to audio editing. It's awesome, and has looping playback buttons (you can even loop the audio file a number of times, such as three times, to hear how the game will play it if it gets looped). It's not really a known program, but it's very reliable and has really flexible editing features.

http://www.goldwave.com/release.php
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

I use Audacity for adding complete songs(sometimes more songs like a playlist) to interstate maps. I notice the sound may speed up or slow down depending on the vehicle's speed(or if the infantry is free falling). Perhaps I should look into one of these alternatives.

Thanks!

GD
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Oh, well that's the doppler effect. Just add "dopplerOff" to the SSC file where the audio code is at.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™