A few questions related to AI

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

A few questions related to AI

Post by Diamondback »

AI has always fascinated me. This aspect of the game I have never truly understood, or had the motivation to really look into. Guys like Arc D. Wraith and 2 Cents Shy have made wonderful AI tutorials, but I have failed to find what I was looking for in those tutorials.

This probably isn't the best place to ask for AI related questions, but the BFSP forums seem a bit dead, so here I go:

1) First question, which probably isn't possible, but I'll give it a go anyways: Can the AI have different soldier skeletons than humans? For example if I wanted to create what I call ''Animal AI'' which would consist of animal models used strictly for AI, while the normal geometry for the human player is a human soldier, could I still do it? Or is that setting hard coded in the EXE?

2) Implementing human behaviors to the AI. By human behaviors, I mean behaviors that human players in the game normally adopt, and that are not common to the AI. By that I mean jumping, strafing (alternating left-to-right movement), walking and combining those new behaviors with new ones (crouching, being prone, standing still, running). Probably isn't possible without extensive scripting.

3) Creating ''true'' intelligent AI. By true intelligent AI I mean AI that is extremely responsive and that never goes idle. I'd like to see bots that almost imitate humans. Bots that are actually challenging to kill, that think like a human player and that make me want to play the single player campaigns. Maxed-out bots!

4) Making strategic areas for bots that don't require flags. I've wanted to know how to do this for a while, since I want to create infantry mods where flags are removed and the focus of the action is really centered on either: killing the enemy team, retrieving and objective, or catching a CTF flag.

5) Scripting bots that can go retrieve a flag in CTF. Probably isn't possible at all since all they care about are CQ flags, but could still give it a go.

That is all for now, I might have a bit more questions later on :D
See my Strasbourg map project here.