Best game to start modding- bf 1942 or bf 2?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
ERYL

Best game to start modding- bf 1942 or bf 2?

Post by ERYL »

I would like to start modding a battlefield game soon, but I don't know which game I must use. Which is the best game to gain experience and start modding works, Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2?

There are some things I don't like in bf2, and I wish to change them. Would someone please tell me how to mod:
-the physics' behavior, because the ragdolls and similar things use to pass through mobile physics, like vehicles. If this can't be changed, is it possible to replace the ragdolls by more solid things as the animated corpses of battlefield 1942? I think that this is possible, because if a player die inside a vehicle, he will do a death animation.
-the roadkill system, because I am tired of dying by touching parked vehicles.

any help will be apreciated.

Take also a look at my other topic (Many questions about bf1942 modding) if you are able to answer other questions I have.

This site is awesome.
Back from the dead
Swaffy

Re: Best game to start modding- bf 1942 or bf 2?

Post by Swaffy »

BF'42 is simpler to mod but has less flexibility, BF2 has more flexibility but is more advanced.
Your choice.

For beginners, I'd say BF'42. Then when you become a more skilled modder and begin to run into "I can't do this unless I hack the EXE" situations, you can try moving onto BF2. For me, I grew up with BF'42 so I don't really touch BF2 modding.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
ERYL

Post by ERYL »

Ok, I will learn about bf 1942 first. Thanks.
And Battlefield vietnam? What's the main differences between bf 1942 and vietnam? In modding context?
Back from the dead
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

You're welcome sir.

Difference between BF'42 and 'Nam (from what I know) is just that 'Nam has some extra coding in its source code. So, for example, homing missiles are possible but not in BF'42 (without seriously complicated code that barely works). Oh, and that winch thing for helicopters so that they can pick up vehicles.

So there are a few differences between those two games, regarding their game engine.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
ERYL

Post by ERYL »

And how about codename eagle? Does anyone tried to mod it?
Back from the dead
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle