Pushing the Objective Mode GPM to it's limits

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Diamondback

Pushing the Objective Mode GPM to it's limits

Post by Diamondback »

Hi there, I wanted to share with you an idea that I have had since a while concerning the Objective Mode GPM (Game Play Mode).
As you all know this GPM runs only in the second official expansion pack released for stock Battlefield 1942, Secret Weapons of World War II.

Personally I think it is a very interesting game mode which brings a whole new aspect of team work into the game, and the missions are captivating. In all the official XPack2 maps except for a select few, there is an objective to destroy (from V2 Rockets to a hidden chest inside the Eagle's Nest villa). As interesting as this new game mode is I would like to push it even more. I am thinking of making an extended version of the Objective GPM which will involved expertly crafted techniques to win.

Let me explain: the new game mode which I want to configure adds the possibility for the defending team, in this case the Axis, to cooperate with the Allied only to prevent them from reaching their goal. You see, at the start, the Allied start with a number of tickets which is greater than that of the Axis, say by a 2:1 ratio (So 100 tickets for Allied and 50 for Axis). The objective, in this case, will be power turbines hidden in the V2 Research Lab objects, which exist exclusively in the Hellendoorn map. I want to create a whole new interior for the structure, make the garage door a PCO which a player can open, and once opened reveals a gated V2 research lab entrence which can be opened from the interior of the research lab.

Now here's where this get interesting: the two PCOs I previously described, the garage door and the interior fence, can ONLY be opened by the Axis, which means the Allied CANNOT, at any point, kill all the Axis team (they must keep at least one Axis soldier to force him into opening the gate), since the Axis team will have respawns (tied to a team-specific custom spawner object that I will script) which are 2 minutes long (and die after 5 seconds, so no respawns possible), by which point the Allied tickets will have bled to 0 (as you all know in Objective mode the Allied tickets bleed 1 by 1 no matter how many flags the Allied hold, so they MUST at all costs destroy the Axis objectives), and the Allied will have lost the round.

So if the Allied team makes the mistake of killing all the Axis team at once, and they will surely not be able to since 95% of the Axis team will spawn INSIDE the research lab and a minority will spawn outside of it to keep the gates closed and prevent the Allied to enter it and destroy the turbine objectives which lie INSIDE the research lab.

Only problem with that is that some assholes on the Axis team might suicide on purpose to prevent the Allied from entering the lab, and achieving their objective of blowing up the turbines, or just letting the Allied rot outside the research lab with no way to open the gates. For this reason, players who TK to disrupt the game play will be kicked after the first offence, no tolerance.

So in short, this new mini mod would require the following additions:

- A custom scripted spawner for the Axis that makes them spawn every 2 minutes and makes 1 part spawn in the lab and the other outside of it to guard it
- A new mesh for the interior of the V2 Research Lab
- 2 new PCOs; 1 for the garage door outside the research lab, another for the fence inside the research lab
- Possible new statics and ambient sounds
- Hellendoorn will be the map of choice that I will edit for this, but I might make a few new ones
- A synchronized objective mode that is designed to make the Allied tickets bleed to 0 before the Axis team respawns
See my Strasbourg map project here.