BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Development Thread

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Skull Kid

Re: BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Developement Thread

Post by Skull Kid »

I'm using 3ds Max 2014 on Windows 8 Pro, will it work with the MDT 2.762?

EDIT: Confirmed! It is not working under 3ds Max 2014, on Windows 8 Pro.
Regards,

Skull Kid
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

It may help if you provide the specific error that comes up when it fails. Also, which parts of it fail? Does the entire script set fail to work or just certain functions like import/export of SM files for example?
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Unless it's very small issues, I doubt I'll get to put considerable amount of work in the BFMDT anytime soon. There still is some critical bugs in the Max12/13 version like the 10+ Materials FUBAR that I haven't tracked down yet.

So yeah, I'll only even consider expanding compatibility if you consider my requests made for useful bug reports in the first post of this thread (Error message, MaxScript Listener output etc.). I'm swamped in work at the least until Mid-July.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

By the way, have you been able to track down where in the script how it determines what the "internal" material names are? As in the material names stored in the SM file it self. It seems to always be filename + Material0 and so on.

I've managed to modify the older rexman scripts so that it only outputs file name as the material name + the material number. So if I export a file called "Material" It will have internal material names with "Material0" and so on.

But it still seems to always include the file name in the material name. I want it to instead always use what the material names are in the max scene. It would give me more control over how the material names are stored in the SM file. I noticed in Rallisport Challenge that the naming convention for material names are different and in most cases the file name isn't part of the material names at all especially with the car meshes. I would have liked to replicate that in my Rallisport Challenge mod, but the scripts aren't very forthcoming on that thus far. :P
ImageImageImage
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

The scripts are one of the most horrid pieces of code I have ever worked with...

The material stuff should all be in the RSShader sub scripts. Naming should be "fairly" easy to find, it's just combined strings after all. But I don't know where exactly this'd be right now, sorry.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah I looked through all the scripts relating to SM export and the RS shader, but didn't find nothing that seemed to effect it. I'm starting to think the rexMesh.exe that is doing this or it's the way the scripts interact with this program as I think it's the one responsible for generating the final SM files.
ImageImageImage
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Check line 387 of _SM_Export.ms:
tmpName:(prjName + "_Material" + ((matIDList - 1) as string)) \

That's where the material name is compiled. Removing the "prjName + " part should lead to your desired result, I assume.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah that was one string I modified to get only the file name in the internal material name by removing "_Material". But the file name was still used in the internal name (even after removing "prjname" from the command). I could remove the material name and keep the material number as well. But the file name was still being put into the material names in the SM file. :(
ImageImageImage
Shrooms

Post by Shrooms »

Can this be made for gmax?
Senshi

Re: BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Development Thread

Post by Senshi »

It can be made, sure. However, the Gmax scriptset is extremely outdated and AFAIK lacks a lot of the regular things the 3ds max version offers. My "updated" version is a complete custom job, so it would have to be manually remade for gmax as well, which is at the very least just as much work. And even my 3ds Max version still has some bugs in Max 12 and 13, sadly.

In short: Yes, but it won't be made by me.