BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Development Thread

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Development Thread

Post by Senshi »

As I have explained in various scattered posts throughout the forum, I have been working on getting the BFMDT compatible with 3ds Max 8+ , which the original toolset doesn't and which is fairly annoying.
In order to streamline the information process, I decided to open this thread in order to concentrate any feedback and discussions here.

In addition to merely working on compatibility, I added several small fixes and new features that - while not being spectacular - should make everyone's life a bit easier.

Added features:
  • Batch import of StandardMesh (just point the MDT to a folder and it imports all .sm it can find there) : This is great for building object libraries.
  • Every setting is saved now. No longer do you have to re-check the very same box every time you have to do some repetitive tasks (debugging with trial&error, anyone?)
  • Level handling : The entire set of scripts from the ancient Rexman tools that allow to import entire textured terrains and all static object placements into 3ds Max. Great for advanced lightmapping and various light effects.
Not tested:
  • .ske/.skn handling
  • .baf import/export
  • .tm import/export
Confirmed not working:
  • Vehicle import - This will NEVER be included, sorry! In the last release(s) of the MDT, DICE switched to a different method of packing the MDT files, so the vehicle function which was added very late is completely binary and I'm unable to fix this function without having to rewrite the entire function from scratch. A shame, but nothing to be done about it unless I get the source files...
What I need:
Please test the tools a bit with various settings. Currently I'm looking for all feedback, that means even statements like "I exported XY.sm with these settings [...] and it worked fine" are much appreciated. Current focus is on:
  • .sm export tool
  • the features above listed as "not tested"
Please be very detailed:
  • What version of 3ds Max do you use?
  • What function did you try?
  • What settings did you use with that function?
  • If an error occurs, describe what went wrong.
  • If the MDT provides you with an error message, please provide me that as well.
Even more helpful would be the log from the MaxScript Listener: To retrieve that, open the Listener with either F11 or in the top menu under "MAXScript -> MaxScript Listener". In the lower, white part of that popup box you should see a large stack of text messages. If the MDT crashes, it automatically dumps all current variables and functions and the TraceStack here, which can be very helpful for me. This should be the bottommost parts, written in blue and red (on Max12). If you are unsure, just open the Listener BEFORE you run the function that causes the crash and right-click on the area and select "Clear All". Then run the function that crashes. Now the script listener will only contain the helpful data!

For additional debug/feedback/"live dev talk" join our Skype group. Just add me (wgpsenshi) and please provide a non-default add-message (stating that you come from bfmods, at the very least). I will then add you to our groupchat.

Most recent version:
Feb 15 2013 - Version 2.762

Installation
Download either from the link above or use the attachment (they are the same)
Extract the file to your main 3ds Max folder, maintaining folder structure. Confirm overwrites.
It should replace all older files, but if you want to be 100% sure, uninstall/delete old versions of the MDT 3dsMax scripts.

Changelog:
v2.762:
  • Fixed TrimLeadingWhiteSpaces function, caused failures to load/write .rs files properly
  • Developing from Max13 now, so feedback from any older version appreciated.
v2.761:
  • Changed the version number in the tools header properly.
v2.761b:
  • Fixed single .sm export
  • Fixed PrettyDosBatch function
Pre-Changelog:
  • Lots of small things all around to get the MDT to run at all...
  • Rexman's entire Level toolkit
Apache Thunder

Re: BFMDT 2.76 www.bfmods.com Developement Thread

Post by Apache Thunder »

I've mirrored this at my FTP location as well in the meantime in case anyone has issues downloading file attachments:

EDIT Senshi: Removed link as this is outdated.

:D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Darkstef

Post by Darkstef »

You said compatible 3dsmax 8+, so is it compatible with 2013 or 2012?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That is what is implied by 8+ ;) .
I actually develop it on Max Design 2012, that is why I can't it test it on the other versions. Though it SHOULD work on them, as the Maxscript features have not changed dramatically in those versions.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

awesome. Trying this eve!
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

As I just got complaints, I pushed out a miniupdate that fixes the displayed version number of the plugin window. Nothing else has changed, so if you just don't bother, no need to download this again...
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Fook has rightfully nagged me because there's some issues with the level importer. If you run on a "virgin" install of 2.761 and try to import a heightmap, you'll get a mean Maxscript error message complaining about some undefined "if" stuff.

The workaround is this: Close the error message, close the MDT box (not Max itself!), reopen the MDT from the Max menu. Now everything works again. Until you restart Max, when you gotta do it all over again.

Will be fixed in the next version, should be fairly simple to do.

Another issue I encountered in the process of tracking down this bug: The "import placements" function that should import dummy boxes that represent all statics on the map is borked in 3ds Max 2013. Not sure which other versions are affected, fook however says it works in Max 9 and I had it also running back then in Max Design 12, so it might just be the newest versions.
The bug is that the dummy boxes get imported and labeled correctly, even rotated correctly, just they all get placed at 0/0/0 instead of their correct positions. Probably a change in how Max handles coordinates internally, shouldn't be hard to fix either.

On the upside the texture issue I complained about earlier (ground textures getting the stupid "Real World Mapping Size" modifier by default, messing up the UV tiling) got fixed in Max13, meaning that ground textures look perfect again with no need to mess with anything.

All the rest (Import sun, water etc.) works fine as well, except "Freeze/Unfreeze terrain". But that really shouldn't bother anyone anyway.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah I noticed in 2013 that even rexman's unedited original script, the statics importer/exporter scripts didn't work correctly. They import, but all at 0/0/0. Export function is also broken. It creates the con file, but they all have no name to them in the Object.create line. I just took another look and it does still work in Max 2012 though, so I believe it's in Max 2013 that it broke.
ImageImageImage
Grabbi

Post by Grabbi »

hmmm doesn t in work version 9,
checking 10,11,12,13 now
[url=bf1942://85.214.226.169:14567]Image[/url]
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Not sure why this topic isn't stickied. Something like this shouldn't get buried. ;)

!
Thread has been changed to sticky status.
Also, it seems the latest version is missing the rs_MaterialShader script for the plugins folder. For now folks will have to use one from a previous version if they want materials/textures to work on import/export.
Grabbi wrote:hmmm doesn t in work version 9,
checking 10,11,12,13 now

I loaded it up in Max 9. Seems to work on importing something. Haven't tested everything, but it looks to work with Max 9. :D
ImageImageImage