By the way, have you been able to track down where in the script how it determines what the "internal" material names are? As in the material names stored in the SM file it self. It seems to always be filename + Material0 and so on.
I've managed to modify the older rexman scripts so that it only outputs file name as the material name + the material number. So if I export a file called "Material" It will have internal material names with "Material0" and so on.
But it still seems to always include the file name in the material name. I want it to instead always use what the material names are in the max scene. It would give me more control over how the material names are stored in the SM file. I noticed in Rallisport Challenge that the naming convention for material names are different and in most cases the file name isn't part of the material names at all especially with the car meshes. I would have liked to replicate that in my Rallisport Challenge mod, but the scripts aren't very forthcoming on that thus far.