Bocage River Mod

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Bocage River Mod

Post by fo0k »

I'm in thread starting mood so I will get another rolling.

I have got a stretch of the river in Bocage animated and thrown in a couple of surprises.. This technique still has a long way to go but it's interesting to work on. The real time consuming bit is sculpting the mesh to the river edge to get a reasonable flowing motion to it all.. lots of vert positioning but it does help. Making up a decent animated water texture is also a pain.. but basically with a lot of work this could begin to look very cool.

Download the patch here.. just a few mb and will make you chuckle at the very least. And let's face it.. I doubt you will see a 'final' version any time soon!

http://www.battlefieldmodding.com/dump/Bocage_River_Mod_Concept2.rar

Apache Thunder

Re: Bocage River Mod

Post by Apache Thunder »

What process are you using to make the animated textures scroll? I recently found a script for Gimp that allows me to make a texture layer scroll a specified number of frames with a few simple mouse clicks and allowed me to make the ghost animation in a few seconds rather then 20 minutes. :D

More complex things like the fog layer I added to the edges of the cloud animation textures will still need some time consuming work though, but for things that just scroll one way or another, the script I have does it very quickly. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I use a bit of software called swishmax. Its a flash/swf authoring tool with ultimately the same functionality as Adobe Flash but it is considerably more noob friendly to begin with. Have been a fan of it for many years now, using it for various websites.
Lots of layer/keyframe animation functionality etc and will spit out perfect uncompressed avi's for radtools etc.

also, any idea how to retain the normal bf water but make it truly invisible so I can layer this animation mesh on top?

I played with the alpha settings fo the water but never seem to be able to get it totally transparent :/
also even when it is 99% transparent I still get z buffer issues with it when the animated mesh is so close.. hopefully a solution.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

My Alpine Assault map has the water made invisible to achieve this. It's combination of the water settings and a modified WaterShader.rs (everyone seems to forget this file exists. :D)

Code: Select all

water.specularEnable 0
water.texLayer1 texture/alpha
water.scrollDirection1 0/0
water.specularColor 0/0/0
water.scrollLayer1 0
water.tileLayer1 0
water.lightDirection 0/0/0
water.color 0/0/0
water.deepColor 0/0/0
water.waterAlphaDepth -1
Water.watershallowAlpha -1

I then set up the WaterShader.rs file so it reads as follows:

Code: Select all

subshader "WaterElala" "StandardMesh/Default"
{
	lighting false;
	lightingSpecular false;
	materialDiffuse 1 1 1;
	materialAmbient 1 1 1;
	texture "texture/alpha";
	alphaTestRef 1;
	transparent true;
}
(so in effect the water plane no longer uses the water shader, it uses a standardMesh shader like normal meshes and you can assign a texture to it. It will still tile that texture though. ;) )

That's how you get rid of the visual component of water. But as for the zbuffering issues....not much I know of that can fix that. You will need to make sure your mesh is above the water line but just enough not to have visibility issues. I did not have too much of a problem with my river in Alpine Assault in terms of zbuffer issues. I just made sure it was just a tiny bit higher then the water line but not high enough to be noticeable by the average player.
ImageImageImage
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

-1 !

heheheh.. so that's how it's done. thx

I did have a look at the watershader.rs actually and thought maybe it could be tweaked.. thanks for that, I will try!

so what about the actual water mesh? I guess a 'collision only' mesh is whats needed to avoid z buffer issues but is it even possible to change that mesh?

actually.. if that were possible then I guess the possibilities would be endless... which leaves me to assume that it is not possible.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The collision mesh of the water plane? Not sure about that one. That's loaded in dynamically in a manner similar to the bodycollision_m1 mesh which does not exist as a file. You can't use a custom mesh as that would be on an object and the water collision does not behave correctly on anything other then the water plane. Adding water collision to an object for example would result in vehicles semi-passing through it and taking a lot of damage from even tiny collisions with said objects. That and soldiers who walk on top of a object using the water material will suddenly find them selves unable to jump. :P
ImageImageImage