Recreate the water effect on a plane mesh

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Recreate the water effect on a plane mesh

Post by fo0k »

For the purposes of adding lakes etc at different water levels.

collision/Swim physics not required.. just the visual that Im after

easy way? I know I have tried just adding the water shader to an object before and it creates some crazy psychedelic effects in game so didnt seem like a solution..
Apache Thunder

Re: Recreate the water effect on a plane mesh

Post by Apache Thunder »

Best route would be to add a BIK texture to the mesh that has the animation. I could not get alpha to work correctly with BIK videos so I had to replace the alpha with a black background and use this to add the transperency:

RS File:

Code: Select all

blendSrc sourceAlpha; 
	blendDest one;
It still has issues in relation to how it blends with the fog on the map though. It's the only way for alpha on BIK meshes that I know of. Maybe I'm just using the wrong conversion settings or something.... :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
ERYL

Post by ERYL »

How about the water with swim and collision in BF1942? I saw it on the dragon valley map in BF2.
Back from the dead
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I was wondering this myself because I would really like some sort of water mesh which brings me to the reason for my post. Has anyone tried to port the BFV watermeshes in to bf42? I would assume that it is a problem because no one has done it yet.

Now another possibility is smig's custom fountain. He was able to animate the water in the fountain and is like the water in Wake. Perhaps someone could build some kind of mesh from smigs idea that was in several sizes like BFV's watermesh so they could be used in maps as visual effects. I also have a couple of maps with some kewl ice meshes and one in particular by AudioGod from FPS forums he made for a map by Augustus (one of PoE's founders) called AMG_Tundra. It is the best I have seen but have no idea how it works or even place it. I will upload the map later so someone can take a look.

Here is a picture of smig's Stone Pool;
smig's StonePool BF1942 model with animated water.
smig's StonePool BF1942 model with animated water.
Here is his website where he has many kewl models. His is having thumbnail image issues I noticed, but click on the placeholder and the image loads in another tab - page. The downloads seem to work but I have a download of it from my site (cajunwolf.com) just in case.

Here is smig's StonePool for download.

L8trz,

Cajunwolf

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I tried a bit of water on bocage. the water flows along the path of the river and even goes 'around' the rocks.. a bit.. the water mesh also adjusts to fit the varied width of the river too
http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1184

Also a gif example of flowing water here: http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1182

Not water specific but..
Some animated bik discussion and more gif demos.. http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1186
Lightning: http://youtu.be/C84QSVEdj5I
Rain with animated detail map for the ground (with video effect): http://youtu.be/N-5i24fa3Fw
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Totally interesting stuff. I know nothing of Animated Bik Textures so please, elaborate and give me some research material.

I ask again about the watermeshes from bfv?

The rain and animated detail texture thing is freaking awsome!!! I must learn to do this, and I seem to remember Apache has snow working too? Another must have! I saw the one on the animated clouds, and that was done in DC (No Fly Zone) but not even to the degree Apache has.

Please explain the rain and detail texture thing and the snow information too if that works. I also wanted to ask if you could set me up a bf ai section? You already have map tutorial sections, though I might chat with you about breaking them down into sections if you might be cool with that. It's kind of what I am doing at bfsp right now, little by little as I have time. It's just that my DB is so large (been accumulating data since 2003 and now with 8000+ members you can imagine) that it is unruly at best to fart with. Backups of the entire DB are a serious chore, and even incremental backups are tricky. I would love to port it to PHPBB or Simple Machines forums, but it is an old copy of IP Power Board forums therefore not compatible with the popular open source choices. I had to band-aid it back together when I tore it loose from the claws of Game Spew.

More to follow ...

L8trz,

Cajunwolf

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"