Battlefield 1942 Mod Tools

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

Re: Battlefield 1942 Mod Tools

Post by Senshi »

I need/use it for various tasks. Converting terrain textures forth/back, but more importantly I use it for batch-converting the lightmaps from space-consuming tga to dds, which also allows having colored/"tinted" lightmaps. It's these kinds of "small" things that get very tedious if done one by one ;) . But glad you like it.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

yeah for sure I will find a reason to need this!

certainly potential for apache and the gta mod.. it could save a few months :)
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I was messing around with my Bocage map, using BGA, and thought I'd bring up a possible BGA error that I should bring to light.

(Ignore the glitched cursor.)

Though this error does not cause any real harm to my maps, perhaps it's important enough to mention.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Here is a link to FourCentsShy's "AI Debugging Toolkit", just select Debugging Toolkit from the drop down list. His other tutorials are fantastic and I use a lot of his material and what I learned from not only working with him but as a close friend for many years now. There is also a page on pathmapping that is a must read along with a download for GenPathmaps. A must have tool for any serious AI coder. I have started or rather answered a thread here titled Smallones by Swaffy so any questions about the debugging tool, how to use it, or what it all means, post there. The same for GenPathMaps and BFSAK. As mentioned in another post, 4c reverse engineered the bf1942 debugger shortly after it was released and created a fantastic database of all the commands on this site, so be sure and check it out. In case the above link goes down he put a duplicate copy on my domain at battlefieldsingleplayer.info so let me know and I can re-point the link.

Here is a copy of BFSAK Ver Nov 10 2005 and is the last somewhat stable version I have. It is a beta and has always been a work in progress for him. Last I spoke with him via mIRC about 4 months ago he was still messing with adding more features to it. The problem is that 4c, like me see's bunnies all the time, so during the process he is always chasing down new ideas. There is an issue with the GDK and I think Swaffy's and my conversation on the issue and solution are in the Smallones thread. Here is an prior version which has the GDk installer, just in case you need it. The above version shouldn't need it and runs well when you rt click and select "Run as Administrator" in Win 7. Older version can be downloaded here, BFSAK Ver Oct 2 2005. Again, any questions, ask in the above thread please.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

Does anyone else have crashing problems with the version of WinRFA from the new MDT?

Setting it to Windows 98 compatibility helps a little but I rolled back to the previous WinRFA version because the constant crashing was getting annoying.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

And your running it in Win 7? Is it a 32 or 64 bit OS? In win 7 try this trick, instead of compatibility mode just rt click the exe and select "run as administrator" from the drop down. In most cases it runs ok. Just for everyone's benefit, WinRFA came out log after Win98 was put to rest so trying compatibility mode beyond Win Xp is fruitless. Swaffy has mentioned a tool he liked alot two reply's up called BGA. Check it out. I use WinRFA from console or a batch file with no issues, but that doesn't help you much. Does it pack or unpack the map before crash? If it does then it's the same with several programs to where it finishes but when writing back to a log file the "...\Program Files (x86)\" gets them. Running from a batch file or cmd it doesn't do this.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

I'm running Win XP 32-bit SP3.

Before I went with the compatibility mode, it ALWAYS crashed. With it activated, it only crashes every now and then.

I only used the new WinRFA to pack my .rfa archives. As far as I could tell, the archives were packed-up properly but it gets annoying when I'm fine-tuning a weapon or vehicle and I have to go back and re-launch WinRFA because it crashed.

Is it true you can change vehicle or weapon stats in-game with the debug exe? How does that work exactly?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

1) WinRFA is not optimised for Win7 and noticeably unstable. Couldn't find a perfect compatibility mode as well, and the crashes buggered me as well, which is why I looked for alternatives. You might also be interested in trying BGA (beefed-up similar tool as winrfa) or direct batch approaches (look in the tool section and the Modding Tutorials "Debugger Multifunctionality".

2) Yes, you can change a lot ingame when using the debugger, trying out various values. To my knowledge there is no proper tutorial for this yet as well, but I have detailed this in the nightmap thread : http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=996#p6983 . In the second half of the post I describe how to use the ingame console to full effect.

If you want to change the values of an PCO, you first have to select that object by using ObjectTemplate.active XXX. Now every appropiate ObjectTemplate.x command like "ObjectTemplate.magsize" will affect the "active" object code.
All that is very useful and much faster than using the reboot/repack way when you just have to figure out values by trial& error.

Remember that everything you do and change inside the debugger console is temporary only and will not be saved to any rfa. So once you have figured out the values you like, note them down and change them in your source code and compile it to .rfa .
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

So far, the original WinRFA from EA's MDT has been sufficient for my needs so I've been using that.

As for the topic, I'll check it out. Thanks for the replies :)
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Can we host PunkBuster files/installer too?
I had to search online for mine.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™