Battlefield 1942 Mod Tools

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
cajunwolf

Re: Battlefield 1942 Mod Tools

Post by cajunwolf »

dudejo
Is it true you can change vehicle or weapon stats in-game with the debug exe? How does that work exactly?
As an addendum to Senshi's excellent post FourCentsShy showed me how to do this a long time ago, and haven't done it in awhile. I have notes somewhere, but best I remember that as long as you have the map extracted in the game root directory you can make certain changes then reload the map, and you changes are effective. The game engine looks here first when loading a map, and if an extracted copy is not found it decompresses the RFA archive. We used it in most cases to alter settings in a aitweaks.con file we would put in the maps root directory, and it worked quite well. You can also extract the main archives here to, and make changes in them, but remember to copy you standardmash folder you have you lightmap samples files in to an safe place, or you know what will happen don't you?
So far, the original WinRFA from EA's MDT has been sufficient for my needs so I've been using that.
I do too, and I only have issues with it on Win XPpro x64, but I run it from the command prompt, or batch files. I have no problems with GUI packer or WinRFA this way in any versions of windows. The command parameters and switches are in the readme.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

WinRFA is known to regularly mess up the envmap files on packing, resulting in no envmaps on the map. This was one of the first nuisances years ago when I wanted to beef up my maps with custom envmaps and they never worked for some odd reason. As soon as I packed my .rfa without WinRFA, it worked smoothly. For everything else, WinRFA is as good as any other tool, true.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I don't pack with WinRFA. I use GUI_RfaPack.exe because it uses the game engine to pack with full compression if you want. You can also do all of you archive, or even a whole mod at once. I use in from cmd or in a batch, but here is a tutorial I did on it years back. GUI_RfaPack

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

I know that tool, and it's good, yeah. But dunno, I just prefer laying hands on directly and having 100% control over what happens ;) . Many ways lead to Rome.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Your right Senshi, many paths lead to Rome, and that is what makes discussion boards like this so great, and the best way is what each is most comfortable with.

Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I pack RFAs using the debugger. Can't get any more control over it then that. :D

EDIT: Converted topic to an announcement since this is something all new users should see and will stick out better then a sticky. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Should this website host the debugger files? I don't remember where I got mine, but I don't think it comes with BF MDT.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I got mine long ago from EA BF42 site. It comes with the versions you buy now (like the Anthology Edition which is a real bargain). I host them over at BFSP as a matter of convenience, and I see no problem, but an advantage hosting them here.

By the way Apache the GUI packer that comes with the 2.75 MDT uses the debugger, but adds an interface with various options. I run it from command line in batch files myself.

fo0k

Post by fo0k »

any useful files can simply be attached to a post so feel free to, swaffy
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

fo0k wrote:any useful files can simply be attached to a post so feel free to, swaffy
Well, yes. But I think they're easier to find if the primary [first] post has the link/files.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™