Stop the engines!

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Senshi

Stop the engines!

Post by Senshi »

Simple question: Is it possible to code the engines to initiate only when one actually presses Forward? So no rumbling engines when one preys from cover for passing tanks? Even better: Is it possible to make engines stop also once one idles some time? But that would be bonus only.
freddy

Re: Stop the engines!

Post by freddy »

yeah sort of, i think it would be possible to set something up, been a long time since i fiddled with sounds.

a short example

Code: Select all

load @ROOT/Sound/@RTD/sairstart.wav  <-----  engine starting
and then 
load @ROOT/Sound/@RTD/sairrun.wav   <---------  engine idling

load @ROOT/Sound/@RTD/sairmed.wav  <-----------------  yeah you can guess

load @ROOT/Sound/@RTD/sairhi.wav   <---------------  full speed
i know i had to tweak to get the engine idling sound wait for the engine starting sound to be finished before it kicked in. i think you can fiddle with the parameters to get something close to what you want. sorry tho i dont remember exactly how it works but the code it pretty self explaining so it shouldn´t be that hard to figure it out.
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

freddy you are so sexy when u post code
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That's not exactly what I meant. Engines idling is nothing special and every vanilla vehicle has that ;) .

The thing is I want the engine to be cut off, silent, stopped, nada working as long as I don't hit the gas. So perhaps replace the Idle with a silent sound, but then again I'd need to make the start engine sound initiate only when one actually starts moving the tank...

So basically:
Idle(Silent)->Start->Idle->->Hi->Idle->Stop->Silent

Problem is I don't want the engine to always get "killed" only because one stops for some seconds to get a good aim, I'd need it to be somhow time-delayed: Hi->Idle (10 sec delay)->Stop->Silent

And I'm not so firm on ssc actually. Is there a good explanation on all these parameters etc. around somewhere? The ssc editor isn't really a help for me, I'd rather stick with direct coding ;)
freddy

Post by freddy »

im not sure but i think the game engine is to limited to make exactly what you want. the closest you can get is propably a silent engine on idling

i know there was some info on the mdt site but its seems down now for some time.