Using bik video files from within the rfa

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
fo0k

Using bik video files from within the rfa

Post by fo0k »

So, as far as I know its not possible to use a bik texture from within the rfa. It must be called from an external folder. I just want to make sure this is totally correct and not maybe just a bug with winrfa? (like the envmap corruption)

Is there any way to include a bik within the rfa? The reason I ask is to have bik lightmaps on objects.. so a workaround suggestion is welcome..? The problem is that lightmap files have to be in the lightmap folder within the map rfa.. whereas a normal texture can be called from anywhere.. :/
Apache Thunder

Re: Using bik video files from within the rfa

Post by Apache Thunder »

I've tried GIF files on lightmaps once (since apparently someone here stated that GIFs work to some degree) but the game rejected it.

As for the BIKs, it's been awhile since I have tried BIKs in a RFA file. I too had them not work when used in RFAs but I can't remember if I had tried this with the WinRFA or the debugger to pack the RFA. I could create a test mesh and assign a BIK to it and pack the texture rfa with the debugger. If it doesn't work then nothing will since the debugger is the purest RFA packer you can get. ;)

UPDATE: Nope. I'm afraid it doesn't work. The only way this can be achieved is with the debugger and a unpacked map. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

ok cool, thanks for trying that.. well, I'm not missing something in terms of how the lightmap textures are called am I? that directory is hard coded?

Does anyone understand 'why' this causes a problem from within the RFA? do we have an RFA guru?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Update. I noticed that the Singleplayer demo has a BIK file packed in the menu rfa. Very interesting. perhaps if we were to use the singleplayer demo to pack the rfa instead of the more modern packers? There is a difference in the file format of RFAs in teh singleplaeyr demo since WinRFA can't open the singlepalyer demo rfas. Only the older RFA Extractor app can. So I suspect the RFAs are packed differently. The singleplayer demo does support using the +makeArchive command since I successfully packed RFAs with it. :D

I'll try out a bik packed into a SP demo RFA version and see if the BIK will work. :D
ImageImageImage
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Heheh, awesome. You are a fountain of ideas and news sir :)
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Dam doesn't work at all. Even the normal textures brake. It seems the retail game (v1.61b at least) can't even read the RFAs made with the demo. Dam. :(
ImageImageImage