BF1942 Demo Server Crashes

NeO_Anderson

BF1942 Demo Server Crashes

Post by NeO_Anderson »

Hello everyone.

Ok bassically im wondering whether its actually normal for the bf1942demo dedicated server to randomly crash without error almost everyday, once a day or more? Sometimes I can be playing on it and it crashes every like 5-10mins as soon as it gets full and no its not a hardware problem as we host other servers too and they're fine. I googled about this and it returned up some results about there being some undisclosed exploit that causes a server to crash without error and just go which is exactly whats happening to me so am I being attacked by an exploiter?

I joined a server a few mins ago and saw in their server message "If your game crashes blame kia zulu", is it them that is responsible for these crashes? more importantly how can we protect ourselves from them? it's really unfair that everyone trying to start their own server is subjected to this. There must be a way to prevent it surely? further more on that same page regarding the exploit ,was a link to a "patched" .dll file that fixes the exploit but the link was invalid, I was wondering if anyone else has a working link to this or knows of someother way to fix the exploit ? or is there just no fix and we have to just make do? :S

Thanks to all.
motoko

Re: Server Crashes

Post by motoko »

Maybe because its the multiplayer demo......
freddy

Post by freddy »

what version is the demo server running on anyway? i mean to bf there is patches up to 1.6b is it the same to the demo or is it "stuck" at some old version?
NeO_Anderson

Re: Server Crashes

Post by NeO_Anderson »

I'm aware of it being a multiplayer demo my friend. The file name you download pretty much gives that game away but thank you for your insightful post im sure someone will benefit from it even if I havent.

Yeah it's "stuck" at an old version 1.0 but, I'm sure these crashes are related to an exploit that is known by only a few and there must be a way to patch it or fix it somehow? even if the developers of the game can't be bothered? =x
freddy

Post by freddy »

windows have an error log (if you using windows that is) its a long shot but perhaps you can find some info there bout what happens, like memoryoverflow or somthing
fo0k

Re: BF1942 Demo Server Crashes

Post by fo0k »

Seems that the bf1942demo site has a thread on this although I have only just signed up and waiting for account approval.. :/
I have edited your thread title as it would be useful for people to google this issue and instead find a forum where you can read threads before signing up..

do you have a sizeable enough group of known 'safe' players so you can run a passworded sever for a while and see if you still get the crash? assuming the 'bad egg' must be playing in order to cause the crash/exploit...
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Last I recall, you can try updating the demo to v1.2. It's the last and only update they made to the demo. I don't quite know the link, so a google search is needed to find it.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Player

Post by Player »

Hi guy's,

Sorry fo0k I never seen your application.. Forum became restricted after all this exploiting non-sense...

There are a number of issues that plague the demo but most recently it's the use of exploits... "Fake Player" that made servers appear full while being empty. A DoS attack that left the server crippled lagging all the joined clients and even often the host. There was a bug also in the gamespy code found in one of the dll files which a patch can be made to correct.

Right now there exists one bug, which I do not wish to go into detail about to avoid any further spread, but thus far we have not found a solution other than forcing a server to be password protected and only allowing friends in the server, as this particular exploit requires the attacker to be in the server.

There seems to be a on going "pissing" contest between several of the clans.. I know there is little interest in the demo here.. but figured I'd try to respond to neo.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Unfortunately the battlefield server crash exploit that you are talking about is now no secret to anyone, since it was posted on youtube. It is now RUINING BFV and BF42. All versions of Battlefield Vietnam and 1942 are affected. Why would anyone do that??!?!
Last edited by Seth on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bitcoin address: 1NEoGgsFS9vxLT3eW4w6RFdvzPXLpQX66t
motoko

Post by motoko »

Yeah, Version 1.2 of Battlefield Vietnam is basically empty of server, save but 2. One made a deal with the guy crashing and the other is the server of the crasher.