Exe mods.. Can and can't have? .

freddy

Re: Exe mods.. Can and can't have? .

Post by freddy »

Yeah you can search for words like "lightmaps"

For pathways and lightmaps i have no clue really but if it is like most other things it should be possible with a "extra" folder to read from?. Like those bik files isnt in a .rfa format?

I´m just an amateur with this stuff so i cant really help you much with it.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

so if we find out where it is.. its 'simple' to change this value in hex and create a modded exe..? (im guessing not.. heheh!)

could you give me an idea of software/resources I need for this? I may spend the next 10 years trying to figure it all out a bit I think.
freddy

Post by freddy »

Im an total amateur with this stuff, its not half as inituive as the code we use when we mod maps and such :) i usually go by trial and error and if im lucky i find a corn :P

anyway heres some link you can use, press the Image button http://www.hex-rays.com/products/ida/su ... ware.shtml

oh and be ready for it takes some time for this program to unpack the exe even with a fast computer.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

soo I got this puppy installed and the exe unpacked.. did a search and got virtually the same setup as your screenshot above.. however.. I now cant seem to get that search results box up again.. ....... not sure what I did.

the 'occurrences of lightmaps' window.

I got there by pure luck most likely.. so am I searching the Hex view or the IDA view?

lets forget fixing or changing anything.. but just to get to the same point as your screenshot.. (and assuming exe already unpacked..) how do I search?

..much thanks btw F.. any help here appreciated.. :)

edit....

Ok I seemed to lose the strings window for a moment.. but have it all back again now.
freddy

Post by freddy »

man im just like some few hours before you with that program lol i dont really know what im doing so im just thread around very carefully :) but search is upp the left corner or you can use Alt+ T

when the search is done i just copy the stuff into a txt dokument
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Well a couple more hours and I have almost managed to replace the existing 1942 physics engine and now working on a full DX12 rebuild of the renderer. Have managed to achieve a stable 512 player server with a few tweaks.

..is where I hope you will teach me to be in the next few days :)

seems like a bit of software called odbg can help with compiling a patch.. or something.. Not sure if ida is suitable to make a modified exe or not.. ?
I honestly expect to understand about 1% more per month.
freddy

Post by freddy »

oh man i got an idea, it would be so nice if it was possible to port bf42 to Android! Ok maybe not so easy to play on a phone but perhaps on tablets, theres also upcoming things like this project http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console

I think the ida program can do a lot but i havent dared to try, feels like it would be easy to brick stuff just by locking at them from the wrong angle with that program. Then there also is some dll files to in bf42, not exactly sure what they do but i know dll´s work together with exe files. Some extra % to learn about hehe
In a nut shell, a dynamic link library (DLL) is a collection of small programs, which can be called upon when needed by the executable program (EXE) that is running. The DLL lets the executable communicate with a specific device such as a printer or may contain source code to do particular functions.
Sometimes i have messed up the camera by accident, it didnt matter much to me because its usually just the server file for a ssm mod. I have a little vid of how it look, the first half is how it suppose to be and the other half is when its wrecked.

I dismantled the modfile piece by piece until i found what caused it, and in this case it was a soldierspawnpoint i have added to the carrier but that was positioned like far far away (600/575/500) . So however that camera code works it calculate that stuff into the equation also.

Question, can the collision mesh be smaller then what you actually see in game? Like say for example a jeep? I ask because i think if the camera position itself depending on the collision mesh it could perhaps be a workaround to the problem. Atleast it would be fun to try just to learn and see how it works.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I am all in favour of a port. :) any port will do.

chase camera position is based on a combination of all the templates on the vehicle and the location of the the first person cam .. and so even with the collision theory it will still be looking at the vehicles water/terrain effects, in-vehicle cam, wheel collision mesh etc to determine its 'size as an overall entity.. ' and thus where the camera will be positioned.
to be fair, the engine is good at placing the cam in the right place really.. its just that springy nature of its movement that is my holy grail atm to tame :)

is such a worthy little driving simulator (well.. heheh) engine really but needs the freekin camera to be upgraded from following 50hp Willy's :)

dont know if you guys tried the grit mod I made.. really decent driving fun with a checkpoint/reward system.. worth a look - http://www.gritmod.com
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That is one of the most enthusiastic and best-designed project websites I have seen for years. Kudos for that, fook :lol: .
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Senshi wrote:That is one of the most enthusiastic and best-designed project websites I have seen for years. Kudos for that, fook :lol: .

It's written in smhtml (super mega hypertext) - which allows for seamless integration of black text and links. A real revolution in web technology. :)