Coding challenge for tuia

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby tuia » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:24 pm

I'm not a coding genius, far from it. I know some x86 assembly, but my assembly skills are not anything serious.
I doubt they left that code in the server and client executable, however i will look into it.
tuia
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby one » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 am

Black Mamba wrote:So since we all seem to have found THE coding genius we've all been waiting for, I'm gonna ask you kindly if you could perhaps unlock some other features in the BF1942.exe.
This time it's all about automatic client-side downloads. IIRC there was a thread somewhere about this in the past, where when you download a new map, the DAT file for the loading menu is stored in a folder with that map's name. So perhaps EA actually wanted to allow automatic server to client downloads but abandonned the idea for some reason... Could you look into it?

I think you are talking about loadcounter.dat which is responsible for map loading bar. But actually there are some mentions of download function. There is a string INFO_MESSAGE_MAP_NOT_FOUND_DOWNLOAD_QUESTION, which should be showed in game as "MAP NOT FOUND, DO YOU WANT TO DOWNLOAD IT?". IIRC Apache wrote about it.
But, first, it's not guaranteed that function downloads files by itself. Probably it just does the same as "VISIT WEB PAGE" button in custom game menu, which just opens some URL in browser. Second, even if it downloads by itself, and tuia or someone else will make it work, the value will be doubtful. For example, some URL was pointed to download maps from it directly by the game. But then it'll be useful for only one server with its own maps because it can't contain all maps for all Battlefield servers. There should be a global "store" of maps which would be used by all server managers. Another way - each server should has its own BF1942 executable with its own download URL inside.
Nevertheless, it's very interesting to look at that function :)
User avatar
one
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby tuia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:48 pm

I've rerouted the map_not_found message to the map_not_found_download_question message and no error message (Map not found, do you want to download it?) shows up, when i enter a server without that map. I believe they left that string in the code, but never actually coded anything for it, they chose the easy and fastest way to display a MAP NOT FOUND message and just press OK.
tuia
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby tuia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:47 pm

Image

Changed something more to display the string, but still don't understand why it doesn't show normally. I will continue to search for it.
tuia
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby Classical Modder » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:54 pm

If any breakthrough is done for this function, this would be pretty amazing.
{SoH} Clan Leader // http://sohclan.forumotion.com/
See my Strasbourg map project here.
GSC: diamondback67
Steam: diamondback67
Classical Modder
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby Waldek » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:53 pm

This is my little request; as you know we can't control the airplanes while looking around the cabin, so it would be great if you could fix that. Sorry if this has been asked already.
Waldek
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby Apache Thunder » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 am

Not sure if this will be doable or not for you, but one thing I've been wanting to do (and I'm sure others too) is get the debugger exe to work to host/connect to internet based servers instead of just LAN. There's just some things that can only be tested in full internet mode instead of LAN play. As I recall BFV had the debugger able to connect/host internet servers. So BF1942 should get this too. :D

I'm aware that there is a way to get all the console commands enabled in the retail EXE, but the debugger has the added ability to run unpacked RFAs and it also keeps detailed log files during game play. Something the retail exe can't do. :P (unless you can hex edit the retail exe to run unpacked rfas as well? :P )
ImageImageImage

I have cameras in your head!
User avatar
Apache Thunder
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 am
Location: Levelland Texas, USA

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby tuia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:46 am

Apache Thunder wrote:Not sure if this will be doable or not for you, but one thing I've been wanting to do (and I'm sure others too) is get the debugger exe to work to host/connect to internet based servers instead of just LAN.

It is doable to modify BF1942 debug executable as you say, however it's not needed because you can join with it to servers that accept all client versions. You have to connect directly with "+joinServer" argument.

Classical Modder wrote:If any breakthrough is done for this function, this would be pretty amazing.

There is no breakthrough, because those references are function stubs, they have been defined but have no real code in them.

Waldek wrote:This is my little request; as you know we can't control the airplanes while looking around the cabin, so it would be great if you could fix that. Sorry if this has been asked already.

It should be possible, not sure if I can find it.
tuia
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:36 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby Waldek » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:00 pm

tuia wrote:
Waldek wrote:This is my little request; as you know we can't control the airplanes while looking around the cabin, so it would be great if you could fix that. Sorry if this has been asked already.

It should be possible, not sure if I can find it.


OK I'm not forcing you. Just review this matter in your spare time. Thanks
Waldek
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Coding challenge for tuia

Postby Classical Modder » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 pm

tuia wrote:There is no breakthrough, because those references are function stubs, they have been defined but have no real code in them.


Would it be possible to create new code for those function stubs?
{SoH} Clan Leader // http://sohclan.forumotion.com/
See my Strasbourg map project here.
GSC: diamondback67
Steam: diamondback67
Classical Modder
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:13 pm
Location: Canada

Next

Return to Battlefield server and client

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron