Battlefield Heroes mod for BF1942...

The Battlefield Heroes conversion for BF1942 can be found here!
Mod Download, Serverside Mods and Custom Maps
Apache Thunder

Re: Battlefield Heroes mod for BF1942...

Post by Apache Thunder »

Sorry haven't said much about the mod. But I have been working on it. There's quite a few new things I've added to it thus far. I've fixed the proximity fuse on the AA gun finally. (turns out the tracerScaler command will brake the proximity fuse of any projectile it's used on) and I've also made some improvements to the crosshair hud. And two new maps "Fortress Frenzy" and "Inland Invasion" I've finished porting awhile back. I've also made changes to a couple of the winter maps and added snow on the roofs of all buildings in all the winter maps. :D

I've added two new vehicles. But I can't actually say what they are until EAsy goes public with them. So I will wait till they do, before I make a video showing all the things I got in the mod thus far. :D
Vilespring wrote:I looked around a bit and saw you couldn't add the destructible tire on the back of the willy without problems. I woke up the next day with the dumbest idea.
Make the tire a PCO. I thought that it would just need no entrance points, and spawned with a spawner with the "ObjectTemplate.NrOfObjectToSpawn 1" and the "ObjectTemplate.holdObject 1." Very dumb, yes, but it should work, since the Ratte in secret weapons uses that idea for the gun ports.
That wouldn't work very well. The reason I would have liked to use it as I had originally coded it was that the tire's destruction would actually impact the driving physics of the car and would thus add some realism. However making them separate PCOs would prevent that from occuring and then they would be purely decorative and have no impact on the driving physics even when destroyed. So no go on that method. :(

I had even expiremented with having engines that are destructible (just needed to make sure they are on a mesh that is hittable by a projectile) and they too can effectively be destroyed. Like for example, attaching one or more of the hover engines of a helicopter to a destructible child object and it gets destroyed while flying, the helo then flys out of control of sorts until the player either crashes and dies or bails out. (since in reality there are many instances where aircraft will malfunction and fly out of control in many instances when they become damaged. They simply don't "explode" the instant they become unflyable. :P )

It seemed to work great, but during singleplayer testing I tested it when it had bots in it, and noticed it would kill the occupants of the vehicle despite the host vehicle not actually being destroyed. Thus the reason I had to drop my idea for this in my mod. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

Yeah I am also happy about it!!!
I love you, you are my Texas modding hero.:-)
Did you made destroy able oil barrels or destroy able wheels?
What's about that tests?
Would you like converted the regular or most famous modding maps for BF Heroes 42?
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

As I've mentioned before, the destroyable wheel idea has been cancelled due to game limitations. Sorry.

But I have a video. I've brought a classic map back and it is reborn in the style of Battlefield Heroes! :D

I've improved it with a night conversion. Both make use of the cloud system. I finally got some good tweaks to make the cloud system work well on a dark map like the night map. The day version has the clouds set to a large tile scale, so it looks as if there is literally dust in the sky. It adds some good atmosphere to the desert map. :D

Oh and I also ported the helicopters they just released today. I tacked those in at the last minute.

I initially started work in porting El Alamein into the mod, but only in the last month that I finally decide to finish it. In the state it was in before I finished it, was a mere shell of a map with just a few BFH statics but in a few short days, everything was in including the cloud system and modified fog settings. :D

The night conversion I finished a couple days back. :D

As you can see, I've decided to take a little more creative freedom with the mod and will add a few more things not actually present in the real BFH. Though the helicopters are indeed available in the real Battlefield Heroes game. They almost as fun to fly as they are in BF1942. But BF1942 still wins, because nothing beats that classic BF1942 heli flight physics that DesertCombat originally brought to the game. :D

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but the damage system has gotten a revamp as well. I have decided to take the mod in a more hardcore direction since this is a first person shooter game after all that I've ported this game to.

Thus now all the weapons have much more reasonable damage for a FPS game. You won't have to pore 2 or more clips into a soldier to kill them anymore. I've also ported some more modern weapons (as seen in the above video in places) I haven't buffed the explosives a whole lot though (except RPGS vs tanks), since I'm keeping the unlimited ammo system (kinda too lazy at this point to add ammo boxes and code in ammo supply depots, not to mention my HUD isn't really setup for it right now). I added a 100 round mag size to the helicopters before they have to reload (just like in real BFH). The amount of magazines is of coarse unlimited, but it's the first vehicle in BFH that had a limited mag size. I had to move a few more things in the HUD to accommodate that. Since I was already working on the weapon selection bar HUD, I ended up making some other improvements to it. Like the weapon bar staying on screen indefinitely (unless you are in a vehicle or using external camera view).

I recall BFH has the vehicle icon right above the vehicle health bar. I might move it there at some point and will try and make the "dots" that indicate positions of a vehicle in the vehicle icon become numbers instead. Will see if the meme file will let me do that. :D
ImageImageImage
tuia

Post by tuia »

Impressive work! Looks really good and very polished.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Brilliant work. :] This mod has already become a beast.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

Swaffy wrote:Brilliant work. :] This mod has already become a beast.
Very good work the El Alamein Map and very good specials:

- Chopper 2 variants
- new handrifles
- target point for shooting the enemy

:-)
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I'm now going to download this after my laptop is fixed, seeing the video, it looks great.

BTW: is it going to be like most mods, where vannila 1942 objects can be spawned via debugger? Interstate 82 has it where they can't be spawned. (T-34 in civil war, win!)
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I removed all the vanilla vehicle spawners and coded new ones. that included redoing their positions. The same I did for the soldier spawns. So most likely not from a server side modding perspective. I have not placed any mechanisms in the mod that would prevent one using the debugger to spawn vanilla objects. My mod runs ontop of BF1942 and is not independent of it (yet. :P ). There are a few improvements to the game EXE I would love to see happen in the future (working LensFlares/weather code. ;) ), then there might be a point where I will make the mod standalone. If I do this, I will be stripping out all unused assets. So at that point even the debugger won't spawn vanilla vehicles since they will be removed from the game. I would be doing this mostly to save space and also for legal purposes. It would already be questionable to go standalone, but including all the vanilla assets would definitely be braking copyright. :P

Plus, I had drastically altered the ingame HUD meme file from how it is setup in the vanilla game (and even Desert Combat). There are quite a few things I have moved around and the vanilla vehicles are not set up for this. So ammo icons/readouts for vehicles with a limited magsize or vehicles with a secondary fire weapon will have menu elements that are not in the right place. Since Battlefield Heroes does not (yet) have any vehicles with secondary fire, I had not made any changes to the secondary fire weapon icons. I didn't fix the primary ammo icon ammo count elements until recently when I ported in the Helicopters. They were the first vehicles to have a limited mag size. They have unlimited mags of coarse as with all other weapons in BFH.

I have no plans on adapting vanilla vehicles to the mod, so you're on your own that one. Much like BF242 with it's massive changes the HUD, non BFH vehicles will not have correct menu elements in this mod. It's cosmetic of coarse, so if you want to drive a vanilla tank/plane and don't care about the messed up secondary fire ammo icons and possible issues with the primary ammo icon size, then have at it. :P
ImageImageImage
freddy

Post by freddy »

Apache Thunder wrote: As you can see, I've decided to take a little more creative freedom with the mod and will add a few more things not actually present in the real BFH.

Not sure if I mentioned this or not, but the damage system has gotten a revamp as well. I have decided to take the mod in a more hardcore direction since this is a first person shooter game after all that I've ported this game to.
Sounds good to me!

Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

I cannot find the download link for this mod. Can anyone point me in the right direction with an URL? :)
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"