Solid State Drives... any advice?

Anything else, including fun stuff.. and a 'little' spam
fo0k

Solid State Drives... any advice?

Post by fo0k »

Need a new drive.. for OS really.. and bf.. few apps.. rest can stay on the spinny things..

Anyone bought one? Any advice? Recommendations?

I guess decent but low capacity will fit my budget..
freddy

Post by freddy »

new generation ssd drives coming soon from many developers, but if your in a hurry Intels ssd drives is a solid recommendation for now.
motoko

Re: Solid State Drives... any advice?

Post by motoko »

SSDs are obviously awesome. And if you were rich, you'd be able to do this:
fo0k

Re:

Post by fo0k »

freddy wrote:new generation ssd drives coming soon from many developers, but if your in a hurry Intels ssd drives is a solid recommendation for now.

So what's the new stuff? :p

..and awesome vid! I want.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Even the lowest capacity SSDs available are way to expensive for my taste. Good luck buying a decent one cheaper then what you paid for your car. :P

A better solution would be to get a uber motherboard that can handle having 24+ GB of DDR3 ram shoved into it. A huge a** ramdrive and your good to go. :D

My current mobo can handle 12GB of ram. But I know for sure there are mobos out there can can go 24 or maybe higher. I haven't checked in terms of what software would be needed for a ram drive that can use a good portion of that. And I don't know if said software would be good enough yet to allow your paging file to be dropped into a ramdrive. Not something to run your OS off since obviously a power outage or simply shutting down would result in any changes being lost. :P

Despite possible software limitations, ram drives in theory will always be faster as it uses your ram and that is the the next hardware component closest connection wise to your CPU, so it will always be faster then going through a hard-drive port or USB. :P

EDIT:

For those with money falling from every orifice of their body, they could go real hardcore buy this monster:

http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/07042003/hardware.htm

This bad boy claims to use DDR2 ram as a hard-drive and supports up to 64GB of ram put into it and features battery backup in-case of power loss and external power source since it won't be powered if the computer is off. Plug it into a Uninterruptable Power Supply and you got double power loss protection. ;)

Techinically this would in theory make it faster then any of the flash based SSD drives out there right now as nothing is faster then DDR2/DDR3 ram in terms of seek time and write/read rate ratio. :P

But unless you got $449 for the drive and the perhaps thousand plus dollars for the ram to max it out at, I wouldn't recommend it. :P

Though the 48GB model is cheaper by 200 bucks. :P

Oh and need I mention you can probably raid the f***ers? Now that would be uber overkill. :D

If you can find 48/64GB worth of DDR2 ram at a good price on the internet somewhere, it might actually be worth getting. Just don't buy the ram from the same site as that drive. I'm pretty sure they are overcharging on it anyway. :P
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
freddy

Re: Re:

Post by freddy »

fo0k wrote: So what's the new stuff? :p
you know the usual, smaller and faster circuits. may be lower prices to as new circuits costs less to manufactuer
Nodbrother

Post by Nodbrother »

ssd....best on SATA300.... haven't got the money for a new pc, want to speed it up though. Now, I know what you are about to see IS more expensive than a usual ssd, but you only need a PCIe 4x slot to get a read of up to 540 MB/and a write of up to 450 MB/sor better, depending on your budget.
freddy

Post by freddy »

did you get any ssd yet foook? i just ordered this sukka http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storag ... d-review/1
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh I did indeed.. a couple of weeks back. same as you.. C300, but 128GB :P (fo0king expensive shit)

A M A Z I N G. Would suggest anyone to get one. Now everything happens not only faster but always the same speed.. even filling it up a bit now with no slowdown at all.

Having spent so much on the rest of my setup this was long overdue and the processor has been able to wake up a bit more not having to wait around for wheels and gears to start spinning.. :)

For what it's worth (not exactly the most accurate way to measure) my windows performance index went from a 5.9 to a 7.3 just because of the SSD. It's now my gfx which are the weakest link in the chain... and thats 2 GTX280's in SLI.

They still seem to eat up anything I give them though so I'll be waiting a while before upgrading now... BF3, Bring it on.
motoko

Post by motoko »

fo0k wrote:It's now my gfx which are the weakest link in the chain... and thats 2 GTX280's in SLI.

They still seem to eat up anything I give them though so I'll be waiting a while before upgrading now... BF3, Bring it on.
What the hell kind of rig do you have?! My Dual 8800's SLI are the best thing(s) in my computer... :(