Those Were the Days

Anything else, including fun stuff.. and a 'little' spam
Coroner47

Those Were the Days

Post by Coroner47 »

... when you would ONLY have to shell out $3398 for a 10MB hard drive.

I had one of these in my x386 20Mhz clone. It was a dual high 5 1/4" Maxtor 350MB MFM ( for you new kids on the block, yes it took up as much room as 2 regular 5 1/4" DVD-RW drives). When it spun up it actually produced enough torque to shift a tower case on the desk.
Pray hard, die fast
Coroner47

Re: Those Were the Days

Post by Coroner47 »

when "W A S D" was.... arrow up, arrow left, arrow down, arrow right & mouse was.... wait, games didn't use mice back then. I miss games like Mechwarrior 1!

Pray hard, die fast
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

before there was the "internet", there were only these things called "Bulletin Board Systems"! :shock: :twisted:

For all the young people... be glad you didn't grow up in the time of baud rates! My 1st modem was a 2400baud packard bell... it rocked... when everything was pulse dialing. But by todays speeds.... it would take 3-5mins to download the above picture! :lol:
Pray hard, die fast
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

10 MEG of storage! epic.

I remember upgrading (at the age of 9 with my older bro) a Sinclair ZX Spectrum from 16k RAM to 48k RAM. It cost around $400 for the upgrade at the time. (a lot 25 years ago)

the best games available were crammed into the same amount of data as just two of the images below. seems crazy now.

Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

I never had the pleasure of using a Sinclair! Anything with a chiclet style keyboard is pretty sexy though... & older than dirt!

I remember learning to first program on these systems in high school... the Unisys Icon. The systems ran on a daisy chain network ( i think that's what it was called ). The server ran unix and served anywhere from 10 - 40 dump terminals. It was a pretty bad setup! When one terminal went dead they all went dead. The classroom at one point was moved from a room with lenolium (spelling?) flooring to a room with carpeting. Everytime someone would walk across the room then touch the metal casing of any of the terminals... the network would crash due to a electrostatic discharge! :D :lol:

Pray hard, die fast
Kuyong_Chuin

Post by Kuyong_Chuin »

Any of you remember when you had to save your data on an audio cassette? All the "programs" were in basic and a simple drawing that you had to type all the code for to see what the "surprize" was of took you three Issues of the magazine and two days of typing just to found out it was a "bloody roo" Shoot 25 years ago I was already out of the US Navy and fixing to start a two year tech college where one of my classes was Computerized Inventory Procedures that the professor made the mistake of telling us to "work at your own pace" I did an eight week class in 2 days. :lol: Spent the rest of the first week "playing" with the the Apple IIE. And the next 7 weeks playing spades card game with some of the guys that had a free period at the same time I was suppose to have a class. I checked in got counted as present and then could leave. :lol: My Vic 20 you hooked to a TV and used a cassette recorder to save your work. Later they came out with cartridges that had small games on them that fit in the back on the Vic. If you had a "Real Computer" it took floppy disk that were a foot across 12.5 inch if I remember right. I guess I am starting to show my age to go along with these white hairs that I seem to get more of everyday. :lol:
If thy sleepth in a bed of roses, thy will most likely awake with thorns in thy backside if thou doeth not prepareth thy bed beforeth thy lie down.
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

I remember those cassettes! I can't remember what i had back in the day... but the system used a cassette drive that held like 4 games per cassette lol.

Today i am the proud owner... once again... of a NES nintendo entertainment system. Cost me $70ca :( ... i gave my old fully loaded system 3yrs ago to a computer museum... i miss it. But now i can start a new NES collection! I'll be getting all the war games like "cabal" & "operation wolf" :D :lol:
Pray hard, die fast
Kuyong_Chuin

Post by Kuyong_Chuin »

Coroner47 wrote:I remember those cassettes! I can't remember what i had back in the day... but the system used a cassette drive that held like 4 games per cassette lol.

Today i am the proud owner... once again... of a NES nintendo entertainment system. Cost me $70ca :( ... i gave my old fully loaded system 3yrs ago to a computer museum... i miss it. But now i can start a new NES collection! I'll be getting all the war games like "cabal" & "operation wolf" :D :lol:
I still have alot of my old systems packed away in Moms old attic. Lets see there is an Atari 2600, a Nes and Snes, a Sega genesis with a CD add on, master system converter that I got when I bought the genesis and traded in my master system, a gamegear with a TV tuner, a Commodore plus 4, and a PS one. All still in working order unless they got wet when the roof was damaged by a storm. I still play the games I have from the SNES, Genesis, and PS One but just on emulators now. Allot less hassle than hooking all those up, switching between them and making sure the cartridges are clean and working all the time.

I do miss my Xbox and PS2 though some of the games I had I never got to finish. When I moved I had to sell almost everything since I was flying here and didn't have the room for them. I used the money from them along with my income tax refund at the time to get a vehicle.
Last edited by Kuyong_Chuin on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
If thy sleepth in a bed of roses, thy will most likely awake with thorns in thy backside if thou doeth not prepareth thy bed beforeth thy lie down.
freddy

Post by freddy »

those casettes where pretty easy to copy tho 8-)