Dedicated Server hoster-toaster :D?

Anything else, including fun stuff.. and a 'little' spam
smurf118

Dedicated Server hoster-toaster :D?

Post by smurf118 »

Good day everyone.

It has been a while since I have showed my face around here... I sort of forgot about '42 and was playing Rome Total War and LOMAC (the original).

I have recently got some of my friends to download the Origin based version of '42 and we'd like to play on our own server as the online ones are a bit bumpy, in terms of ping. I would like to host the dedicated server but I cannot actually port-forward by router for various reasons, so I was wondering if someone here would like to host a DC dedicated server :D

The server would only ever have five or six people online at once and would only have to run a few maps during the hours of 1100-2300 (GMT). If anyone would be kind enough to help a Smurf, please reply :D.

Yours,
Smurf
Swaffy

Re: Dedicated Server hoster-toaster :D?

Post by Swaffy »

Ping is usually affected by the players' locations. You need to connect to a server that is close to you. For example, I live in the US, so I get the lowest ping in US servers. I play War Thunder a lot, and I hate Russian servers because of the high ping (then all of the Ruskies chase me down with their super low ping and overpowered n00b planes and shoot me down, lol).
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Well, I know about the ping :P but we want a private dedicated server, not a proper one that you buy. Plus we want to ensure that only we know about it so we can have some privacy, but without trying to remember a password, lol. We also want to have like a custom list of maps and stuff. :D
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

I'd host it for you, But I cant get it to work either :)
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

You have to portforward your router (no idea what that does) so something is open to people or something... No idea xD
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
freddy

Post by freddy »

smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Well, I have discussed the issue with my friends and one of them is going to port forward his router. Anyway, on the other side of the issue we have that of keeping the server up... Does the server application have to be running 24/7 for the server to run 24/7?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I believe the computer would have to be running day and night with an internet connection. Some programs can stop the computer from entering sleep mode, which helps a lot.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Would it be possible for an older machine to run the server, or would lag ensue?