FH - Secret Weapons Installer killing my PC

Anything else, including fun stuff.. and a 'little' spam
smurf118

FH - Secret Weapons Installer killing my PC

Post by smurf118 »

Well... After spending just over an hour downloading the three different bits of Forgotten Hope Secret Weapons, I have discovered a problem! :evil: Upon trying to run the first of three installers, everything on my computer crashes, including desktop and explorer (the toolbar explorer, not IE)... Any help here? :cry:
Swaffy

Re: FH - Secret Weapons Installer killing my PC

Post by Swaffy »

We need specifics. I have no clue if you're running the program off of your fridge, your car, or your computer. What OS? Is it a 64 or 32 bit OS? Are you running it as Admin? Are you using Compatibility Mode? Do you have any viruses on your computer? What anti-virus program do you have installed?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

smurf118 wrote:Well... After spending just over an hour downloading the three different bits of Forgotten Hope Secret Weapons, I have discovered a problem! :evil: Upon trying to run the first of three installers, everything on my computer crashes, including desktop and explorer (the toolbar explorer, not IE)... Any help here? :cry:
Your are the first from 100's of people which download this mod.
Please example your problem?
I have install and uninstall FHSW 0.51 and have no troubles.
Works better than the FH 0.7 which needs compatibility Win 98.
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Not exactly sure how the installer works, but if it's anything like the Battlegroup one you simply have to be patient. "Crashing the explorer" cannot really be related to a regular installation process, except when the installer hogs up your computer's resources. Which can absolutely happen, and with FHSW being a super large mod there's a lot to unpack and install, after all. The BG installer always appears to be "not responsive" after some time and windows asks if it should just kill the process, but it still is working in the background. So maybe just be patient?

Also, not "everything crashes", the Desktop and explorer are a single process on most computers (explorer.exe) and that's the one that crashes. which can be caused by a lot of things.

If not, give better information about your hardware, OS, etc.
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

As far as I know I am on a 32 bit thingy, with XP Service Pack 3... I'll try again tonight... Also, FYI, It's a toaster
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

How much RAM do you have? (Go to Start, right-click Computer, click Properties.)
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Woop! Didn't even need to check.. 960 MB! 6pro4u :D
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I don't know how you do ... anything ... on that computer. You see, wen your RAM is all being used, your computer uses the hard drive for backup space. It's slower, but provides more space. Now, that's only a small limited amount of space, so it can't use up all the hard disk space it wants. Therefore, I assume the problems you are having are due to the fact that you have a terribly low amount of RAM.

You have 960 MB of RAM (about 0.93 GB), I have 12,288 MB (12 GB). I think you need to consider purchasing more RAM. 8 GB of RAM is quite affordable these days.
smurf118

Post by smurf118 »

Yeah, hopefully getting a new computer soon. It'll have four, maybe five Gigabytes as standard and after a month or two I'll upgrade to eight, then ten, and so on! Thanks :)
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Sure man, I hope for the best for you.