How to Create a Mod Installer with Clickteam Install Creator

Lots of cool and useful tips to mod either serverside or clientside
fo0k

How to Create a Mod Installer with Clickteam Install Creator

Post by fo0k »

This was bending my mind (The registry bit..) but have now got it sorted after cheking a thread on the Clickteam website so I thought I would post/copy the info on how to do it.

*You could just use the modinstaller with the MDT but it doesnt allow shortcuts... or look pretty ;)

Clickteam installer is free.. get it here: Clickteam Install CreatorThe freeware version is fully functional

Its all pretty self explanatory but setting up the installer to find the users install directiry may confuse.

Firstly make sure you put your 'modname' folder in a directory called 'mods'. Important.

For the install directory use the following for the registry:

Root Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Key: SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\BATTLEFIELD 1942
Subkey: GAMEDIR

To generate a desktop shortcut for your mod requires a little bit more 'modding' :)
ICP cannot add shortcuts to files it doesn't install but there is a workaround :

e.g. you want a shortcut something like the following

"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\BF1942.exe" +game "mymod"

- Put a fake bf1942.exe in your source root directory, for example notepad.exe renamed to bf1942.exe, select this file in the list and then select the Misc tab and select the "Do not install ... if a file with the same name exists". Now select the Shortcut tab, enter a name for the shortcut and enter +game "mymod" in the command line options box. The file won't be installed and a shortcut will be created.
Senshi

Re: How to Create a Mod Installer with Clickteam Install Creator

Post by Senshi »

I dislike the Clickteam Installer as it has very crappy compression and is shareware (so you get this stupid" created with clickteam blabla" screen). I use the Open Source setup compiler Inno. It has no fancy GUI and assistant guiding you through the creation, you have to write the compiler script yourself. But thanks to the VERY detailed and very clear and simple documentation it is very easy to get the hang of it, it's a very simple script language, actually. But it has the huge advantage that you have complete freedom to design your setup as you wish, and it has multiple compression options, featuring also LZMA compression that makes WinRAR look silly.

Though I haven't used it quite in a while, I doubt I have my old script around, else I could have posted it as a good and simple example, as I had multiple optional setup components included (install path is read from registry, you can choose to create a shortcut for the mod and another to direct connect to our project server). Also it has a nice and simple uninstaller that comes included that removes all contents thoroughly, leaving no traces.

Just a suggestion if you want to create a more "enhanced" installer. I dropped that issue as most people in our project preferred to "see what they get" in .rar archives
oldtime

Re: How to Create a Mod Installer with Clickteam Install Cre

Post by oldtime »

I like the Clickteam Install Creator, because it is very easy to make a Installer.exe.

But if you want to make a very big project (over 2 gb) Install Creator will crash without a reason. And it doesn´t crash immediately, it crash after a few hours, just when the setup.exe file achieved the 2 gb limit. The Setup.exe file is trash and it doesn´t help if you start the Install Creator again. The program has a 2gb limit, but there is no warning if you want to make a larger file.
professor_smith

Post by professor_smith »

Pardon me fo0k, or anyone else that can help.

Do any verstions of Clickteam, allow those installing your mod, to select and deselect what to and to not install (like the retail version of bf1942 does for the various mods and editing tools)?

If it does not, is there another installer creator that is good and gives that option?

Thank You,

Josh
Professor Smith
Lets make war games, not war.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

professor_smith wrote:Pardon me fo0k, or anyone else that can help.

Do any verstions of Clickteam, allow those installing your mod, to select and deselect what to and to not install (like the retail version of bf1942 does for the various mods and editing tools)?

If it does not, is there another installer creator that is good and gives that option?

Thank You,

Josh
Professor Smith
This also gets my curiosity. Someone before has asked to make a different version of my mod that has smaller (or non-existent) blood. Cuz you know ... the blood in my mod just sprays all over the place.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
professor_smith

Swaffy wrote:
professor_smith wrote:Pardon me fo0k, or anyone else that can help.

Thank You,

Josh
Professor Smith
Cuz you know ... the blood in my mod just sprays all over the place.
Makes sense to me. It helps you know if your target is injured or dead.
professor_smith

Thank You Senshi